Search the forum,

Discuss Caravan hook ups in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Doomed

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Testing a touring site for the first time - a.n.other has been doing it for years.
Incoming TNCS to glorified shed in field, outputs to hook ups earthed by SWA sheath, not connected to the big metal dis board, terminated in plastic boxes and connected to a rod so is theoretically TT'ed.
However, the readings I was getting at the hook ups seemed too good to be true, so after disconnecting everything from the rod I measured the resistance between the rod and the earth in the dis board (the TNCS earth). Result was 25 ohms.
As I said, the rod was disconnected from ever thing, so logically the resistance was through the ground.

Is this OK?

Also, elsewhere there is a poor connection in the armour between 2 hook ups, not too bad but notable. Is it worth putting another rod at this point.

Testing a touring site for the first time - a.n.other has been doing it for years.
Incoming TNCS to glorified shed in field, outputs to hook ups earthed by SWA sheath, not connected to the big metal dis board, terminated in plastic boxes and connected to a rod so is theoretically TT'ed.
However, the readings I was getting at the hook ups seemed too good to be true, so after disconnecting everything from the rod I measured the resistance between the rod and the earth in the dis board (the TNCS earth). Result was 25 ohms.
As I said, the rod was disconnected from ever thing, so logically the resistance was through the ground.

Is this OK?

Also, elsewhere there is a poor connection in the armour between 2 hook ups, not too bad but notable. Is it worth putting another rod at this point.

I don't understnad what you're saying. Are you saying the TNCS Earth was 25 ohms?

why put a rod in for a poor connection between 2 hook up points? Don't the connections need improving/fixing?

I understand that it's a TT earthing system, but I dont understand the scenario described? If the earth between 2 hookups(for example the SWA isn't terminated correctly causing a 'poor connection') why stick a rod in?

I understand that it's a TT earthing system, but I dont understand the scenario described? If the earth between 2 hookups(for example the SWA isn't terminated correctly causing a 'poor connection') why stick a rod in?

'cos its corroded badley and I cant get anymore slack on them to make them off properly, ideally it would be easiest to leave that junction alone and sick a rod in.

On part 1 its 25 ohms between the source TT rod and the TNCS earth

Yes, and the fact that there only seems to be a resistance of 25ohms between the earth rod and the TNCS eathing

I am wondering if you might possibly have a N-E fault on the TT side somewhere, this would give you that type of reading, might be worth checking, although as everything should be RCD'd on this side anyway this might not be likely.

Remember the N is effectively joined to the TNC-S E via the CNE link at the origin.

Just a thought.

If the earth rod has been completely disconnected from the system and you are measuring a value of 4 ohms between the Line and SWA earth on a loop test, i'd be certainly wondering where that 4 ohms is actually coming from??

How many caravan pitches is this single earth electrode position covering?? Personally i'd have a rod position at each hook-up, you're almost guaranteed a decent working TT system then...

The worst Zs reading I have had so far is aroung the 5ohm area, which seems too good to be true.
System is 5 sets of 16mm SWA feeding between 6 to 8 hookup points, with each point having 4 outlets with their own RCD's and MCB's at 10 & 16.

So you have 5 separate feeds supplying 6-8 hook up points? Which means that some feeds serve more hook up points then others.

And all are protected just ONE earth rod or one earth rod per feed?

Just the one rod, but there must be other routes to ground as the readings i'm getting are better at the outlets then the Ra reading.

Went through the clients records today, 2 other companies have signed it off over the last 8 years, its tested annually.

Maybe check to see if there are any earth pits hidden somewhere. Or if there has been extensions to building blocks since the last company came in. Maybe something is hidden. Sounds too good to be true with one rod.

Just the one rod, but there must be other routes to ground as the readings i'm getting are better at the outlets then the Ra reading.

Went through the clients records today, 2 other companies have signed it off over the last 8 years, its tested annually.

Something is clearly wrong somewhere, there shouldn't be any other routes to ground/earth unless they are made connections. Might be worth conducting some sheath tests if you can't find the source of this 4 to 5 ohms, not that i can see sheath damage (even to every cable) giving you those kind of values. lol!!

Is this OK?

Firstly, you dont test between the rod and the earth.

Cheers

Reply to Caravan hook ups in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock