Discuss Career change at 39 - am I being realistic? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

AndyTu

DIY
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to... everything around here.

I am 39, working as an engineer in big tech, and I hate it.

I have got really into DIY over the past couple of years, mostly carpentry, plumbing, bit of demolition :)s) etc. I have a healthy respect for electrics, so I've not touched them so much, but I feel I have gained quite a bit of background knowledge.

Yesterday I spent the day helping my electricians on a rewire of my house - just the dogsbody work in 1st fix of helping lift floors, finding routes, discussing circuit designs etc. It was the most fun I have had in... I don't know how long. They are elsewhere today, and I can't wait to be back helping tomorrow.

It's an idea that I have toyed with for a while, but I finally feel comfortable saying it: I want to retrain as an electrician.

I love the directness of the work: you are working for the people who benefit. You can fix a genuine problem (whether merely safety or just irritation). It feels like it could offer me all the things I went into my tech career for, but that have slowly got less and less enjoyable over the years.

Am I being realistic here? Is this something that I can do at 39? What route would you recommend to do this?

Broad question, thanks I'm advance.

Nothing unrealistic about this ambition, and I'm doing the same at a slightly greater age, but I'd be cautious about fast routes into the industry. Nothing wrong with condensed learning, per se, but experience is somthing that can only be gained through time. Theory and practical learning are of equal importance, but there's more to be learned in a day on site, than during several weeks in a college workshop.

I'd reccommend getting yourself ready for any move by setting aside a decent sum for living expenses, while on a reduced income.

Effort, time , cost V reward . You could train quickly within a Niche area of electrical type work and be earning faster .CCTV, Alarms etc etc .Depends where you want to be in 5 years

You don't necessarily have to retrain and start at the bottom. I did a few mates jobs for crap money but as soon as i was able to do things on my own i applied for jobs as an 'improver', and now i'm earning more than a lot of qualified electricians.

The key to being an adult learner is to learn quickly, and don't be afraid to put yourself forward for jobs offering more responsibility and/or money.

I'm in my mid 30's although i've always been in construction so that does help.

The only other caution i'd offer is - don't get sucked in by the 'grass is greener' stuff - the tech stuff you once had enthusiasm for which has now dwindled is also a thing in electrics.

I remember changing my first lights. Wiring up my first kliks. Doing an fp200 ring final for an alarm system. Sockets. Clipping cables neatly. It gave me a buzz. But it soon wears off and it becomes just like any other job; a bit monotonous if you're just an employee. At my work though i'm trusted with sourcing materials, arranging things, dealing with snagging, customers and planning etc so it doesn't get as boring as quickly even when i'm doing the same things day in day out.

And as for the customers - it depends where you work. I'm in social housing and (i grew up on a council estate before any of you slaughter me for this, but it's just the truth) they are some of the most entitled, rude, ignorant and ungrateful people i've ever had the displeasure of working for. They don't pay for anything and all they do is complain about the council and how long it's taken us to install their £10k+ free solar pv set up that's now giving them free electricity so they can have extra in their pockets every month to buy more weed, smokes and booze with. And dressing gowns, don't forget the dressing gowns. Today i had the pleasure of dodging their dogs poo whilst working next to a ceiling that was covered in black mould which even the smell of the weed smoke coming from the next room couldn't cover up. You wipe your feet when you leave these houses.

Yet you then go on a private job for a high-end homes builder and they're super picky about stuff that really doesn't matter because they think it makes them higher class. You can't win sometimes, although it is more grating with the social housing - they use my tax money to pay me to install free solar for people who contribute nothing, and at the end of the month they take tax off me again. It's pretty funny when you think of it that way.

Last edited:
Interesting to read this post and the replies. I'm also just embarking on a career change into electrical installations - well, I mean I've literally just started the level 2 diploma, and my 43rd birthday is just around the corner. But circumstances have dictated that for various reasons, before now I wasn't ready - now I am. I also have a passion for the work having helped on a PV install a few years back, and doing a lot of 12v stuff with help on a camper van conversion project.
The challenge of finding / gaining experience is the major hurdle I see right now. But I'm able to volunteer my time and support myself financially while I do it, so I'm hopeful that I'll find someone who wants a dogsbody/gopher with a good attitude and commitment to help them out.
While I'm the oldest in my evening classes at college, I do feel that at least if (when) someone takes me on, they'll see I've got the commitment and world/life experience which might sometimes be lacking in younger trainees (not being age-ist though, best of luck to everyone, whatever age they are). I do find it a bit daunting to start learning this in earnest now as there must be soo much to learn. But hey, I'm enjoying it and looking forward to the journey.

Best of luck Andy - hows things panned out for you this summer? Have you started a college / other course yet?

I completed the 2330 in my mid 30s while not in the trade. There were several students older than me on that course. For various reasons I didn't get on the tools til I turned 40. Yes I regret not doing it sooner but I've really enjoyed my new career, working with a lot of different people in all kinds of environments, learning more and more as I go. It's never too late.

Seems like you have the intelligence and enthusiasm to progress well in the trade. One piece of advice I would throw in is to be focused on getting the NVQ as soon as you feel confident about it. I probably could have got mine done a few years ago (and been making significantly more money) but I never quite got round to it. I'll be doing it next year.

Reply to Career change at 39 - am I being realistic? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net