Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers

Please visit our prime electrical forum sponsor - they have the best tools at the best prices. If you find a price better somewhere else, call them or contact them, and they may be able to beat it for you. Especially on an order of a few items.

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Ceiling lights short circuited when a bulb blew in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Paintfly

Paintfly New EF Member

Just the ceiling lights (3 rooms + bathroom), all wall sockets working fine & no circuit breakers popped out. Any ideas why? Someone said it could be rodents chewing the cables & my upstairs neighbour has had a few infestations recently:mad:. I'm in a Victorian terrace ground floor flat.
    Does it sound expensive? It's beyond me to tackle.
    Any suggestions gratefully received.
    Cheers

2. Wilko

Wilko Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Hi - did you remove the blown lamp? Do the other lights not work now? Perhaps recheck the Consumer Unit for any switches down, post a pic of it if you like :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

What sort of lamp blew? If it was a halogen they have a habit of taking the circuit protection device with them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    very common for a bulb blowimg to take out a fuse/mcb. could also take out a poor connection on the circuit that was just about coping with normal load. check every light and see if there's a termimal/cable end loose/burnt.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Try resetting all the trips, one by one could be the lamp blowing could have caused a short or earth fault. Sometimes the RCD or MCB trips but stays in the on position, they are not infallible, try switching each one off and on again, and let us know what happens please. And what Tel has posted as well, all sorts of scenarios. Doubt if it's Rodent related, to much of a coincident. Us oldies have our uses, we are not all mothballs and Briar pipes you know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  6. Paintfly

Paintfly New EF Member

Great thanks for all the replies. I'll try resetting the trips & see if that works. It was a 35w Energy bulb in a 75 w max light holder, so no reason I would think that was the problem. I've been using them in that particular light for years. Replaced with a 16w energy & no change.
    Cheers

7. Vortigern

Vortigern Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    It may, just may be that the lights are supplied from a fused spur somewhere and that fuse has blown.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Paintfly

Paintfly New EF Member

Resetting the trips didn't work, so anything else under the bonnet is beyond me, so I'll have to get someone in. Thanks for the suggestions.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Happychappy

Happychappy Active EF Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. driverman

driverman DIY

what was the outcome?

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Paintfly

Paintfly New EF Member

Sorry for the late reply. It was one of the old fuses on the board without a pop out breaker switch. My next door neighbour's bruvva who's a sparks fixed it with 2 srands of copper wire because he didn't have a 5a fuse on him...old school...love it:grinning:
    Thanks for all suggestions.

12. Strima

Strima Electrician's Arms

download.jpg

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    then that wants replacing with the correct size of fuse wire ASAP. his 2 strands could be 5A,10A,30A, who knows?

14. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

He probably used one of these![​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    selection of 3036 fuses for wylex and mem:
    upload_2019-4-9_16-12-29.jpeg