Discuss Ceiling Rose Wiring - 3 core plus earth ? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

my thoughtd would be the grey conductor should be sleeved blue and go in with the other blues. this is without seeing it in persson, so might not be right. the resultsd would be>>>>>>>

1. it works.
2 it don'twork.
3. it goes bang.

if option 2 or 3 fazes you, call an electrician.

tel beats me to it every time.:rolleyes:

Every electrician on here will say the grey is 90% sure a neutral and should be in with the blues....

HOWEVER...

We don't know where that 3 core goes. We don't know what's at the other end. We are working half-blind.

If our assumptions are correct, there will be power at your PIR on the live, but without a neutral it wont work.
That means that if you think its safe to take off the wall and have a look at it, it isn't.

I'm wondering where the switch wire is for the ceiling rose you removed? One of the 2 twins there?

Seriously check where that grey is going on the pir before doing anything else. Can't just be guessing.. Unless you are a little cold and could do with a fire to warm you up...
Edit sorry its 2 days old, didn't realise :oops:

My 2p worth: (from what the OP said)
3c+e goes to switch, brown live to switch, blue neutral to switch, black sw live to light.
PIR light fed from switch.
Any bids?

I have shown 2 sparky's and both are unsure what that grey cable is for. But like I stated earlier the outside PIR light is not working now so must be linked to that

I’m not right sure how your 2 sparkies didn’t sort this straight away?

Reply to Ceiling Rose Wiring - 3 core plus earth ? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net