Discuss Certification Questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Don't misunderstand the nature of what is being purported to you. This is meant in the spirit of guiding you safely through such a project. It would have been better to post here at the planning stage. I am all for you doing such a project and applaud your sense of adventure and derring do, but of course we are constrained by regs/statute and can only advise accordingly.

Paul have you tested the circuits you've connected to your new CU so that you'll sure they were safe to energise?

Without boring the pants of other members, pictured below is a socket I discovered when a new kitchen had been installed in a house. It was a socket on a ring final, that had been plastered over when the house was built circa 1960, the ring was changed to two radials in 2011 when someone replaced the CU. The cables were still live, until hacked out the plaster to reveal this old fossil, and disconnected from the radials.

View attachment 38701 View attachment 38702
just bang a couple of wagos on it.

showing----.gif

having a smoke in your van
It is a matter of scales of danger really, someone phoned me from the number on my van and told me I am smoking in the van. I didn't get prosecuted though, should have been though;) I did tell them I would discuss this with the heinous offender when he got back to the office.

Edit In reply to Mr Moonie.

It was simpler just to disconnect t'other ends and as the back box was going to be behind a floor unit, safer for the Sunday afternoon diy'er and power drill ;)

Have you checked the incoming meter tails and bonding ?. As the work you have done is change the consumer unit all work by you can be inspected i.e. not concealed in the fabric of the building and I can't see a problem with a third party signing that part of the work off if complies ,however I agree what Vort has posted the correct procedure has not been followed and this ( in part) is down to public awareness. As this is not my line of work I assume that members on here who do consumer unit updates would include a full EICR on the existing installation prior to re-energising it and I encourage you to do this.Midwest in post 19 has proved a very good example in his post may be this is something you should be investigating.

It is a matter of scales of danger really, someone phoned me from the number on my van and told me I am smoking in the van. I didn't get prosecuted though, should have been though;)
haha. reminds me of t'other week. stopped at traffic lights, 2 lanes. car next to me in other lane. i chucked my smoke end out and he went ballistic. yelling and bawling " cigarette end.litter... blah, blah, blah. "

so i wound down my manual window winder and yelled back at the pratt.....

" if you're quick, there's still a couple of drags left on it "

don't think he was amused.

haha. reminds me of t'other week. stopped at traffic lights, 2 lanes. car next to me in other lane. i chucked my smoke end out and he went ballistic. yelling and bawling " cigarette end.litter... blah, blah, blah. "

so i wound down my manual window winder and yelled back at the pratt.....

" if you're quick, there's still a couple of drags left on it "

don't think he was amused.

Advise against chucking things out of windows or this could happen :D

WATCH: Driver throws rubbish onto the street but suffers instant karma when THIS happens - http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/838397/Upload the image directly to the thread-viral-video-karma-driver-litter

Edit after the F in adverts!

Paul have you tested the circuits you've connected to your new CU so that you'll sure they were safe to energise?

Without Sorry for boring the pants of other members, pictured below is a socket I discovered when a new kitchen had been installed in a house. It was a socket on a ring final, that had been plastered over when the house was built circa 1960, the ring was changed to two radials in 2011 when someone replaced the CU. The cables were still live, until hacked out the plaster to reveal this old fossil, and disconnected from the radials.

View attachment 38701 View attachment 38702

All very well, but in truth lets assume during a board change we discover the ring is actually not a ring, and IR tests are good....then how many of us would have discovered that hidden horror? Particularly if it's an old installation where wiring is not always text book. Suspicions might be aroused if the rest of the wiring was text book and it was clear the kitchen had been altered, and you'd expect those ends to drop the IR through the floor.
Otherwise, without any obvious problems I doubt very much I would of found it during a board change. I'd have made it two radials.

Reply to Certification Questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net