Discuss Changing consumer unit old for new, what to charge? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

linfieldfc

Hi, I am changing 2 old consumer units to 1 new 17th edition one. I have all equipment just need to know labour costs. Im from northern ireland if that makes a difference?

I'm confused...which isn't too difficult usually. Are you a customer looking for a quote or are you a sparky looking for advice on how to price the job?

There is absolutely no way anyone can give you an exact price mate. There are way too many variables and only coming along and looking at the job will allow someone to guage what they are.
Plus this is in open forum. Not many people like giving that info out for obvious reasons.

Looking again at the thread title I'm guessing this is a sparky looking for assistance on pricing a job in which case I'd ask if you've done any tests on the existing installations to identify any problems first. If so them the job should be predictable, I'm not sure why you'd need help with the pricing of the job though.

He sounds like a chancer to me. Probably no PL or PI insurance for when he burns the poor unsuspecting customers house down.

As for Skilled and Qualified electricians telling you their pricing structure………..

how would changing a c/u burn a house down?

Loose connections in CUs are rather good at starting fires, especially in cheap plastic CUs.

There is a recent thread about the new requirements for self extinguishing plastic boards which includes some pictures of the aftermath of fires started by loose connections in new CUs

The OP hasn't replied so its hard to even know if he is an electrician or just some DIY person wanting to change his CU.

He hasn't stated hes doing the work for himself Tony. He hasn't stated much really.

Hi, I am changing 2 old consumer units to 1 new 17th edition one

Precisely. He hasn't stated he's doing the work for "himself" He could be doing the job on a neighbours house...

Reply to Changing consumer unit old for new, what to charge? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net