Discuss cheapest place to shop in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

I find for cable, TLC generally give me the best price and you can buy per meter which is very useful on some cable - but they lack competitive prices on some accessories, conduit fpor example is amazingly half the cost at screwfix, who have recently jumped up their prices significantly. Its horses for courses on what it is you need really. Generally speaking i find TLC to be the best all rounder i have to say, quick delivery, good range, useful technical website, utterly pants telephone service though, dont ever bother ringing them for info, well at least my local branch anyway they may as well work in a shoe shop for the difference it would make.

www.www.******************

Ben

tool station can/are cheap, but the quality of the gear is also cheap. Silverline stockist. Possibly the worlds worst tools, closely followed by forge steel

TLC, or Electricfix, both have excellent customer service and returns.

Wouldn't wee on Toolstation if they were on fire, not even if they offered to pay me per ml.

Toolstation is the by product of the last owner of screwfix - screwfix was originally owned by the man who currently owns toolstation. He sold screwfix, then with his existing expertise and knowledge of the industry, started up toolstation. Now that B&Q have bought screwfix, the prices are becoming a joke. But for a real good laugh, take a walk into B&Q and see what they charge per m of 2.5 T&E. You'll be in tears

tool station can/are cheap, but the quality of the gear is also cheap. Silverline stockist. Possibly the worlds worst tools, closely followed by forge steel

They also sell CED branded stuff which are crap, cable clips with crap nails, anything thicker than a piece of paper and the nail will bend!!

It's not always about the price. Find a local wholesaler, preferably an independent, use them often and you'll normally get prices that will beat the online guys. Have a bit of banter with the counter monkey and dont take yourself to seriously and watch the prices whenthe invoice comes in. It's a 2 way street, I expect good prices and service but I also pay my account at the end of the month, never mind 30days later.

For me its my local CEF( I know) and electric centre( now part of eddies).

Last edited:
It constantly amases me how much time (and fuel) probably people will use trying to save a few pence.

I'm with #22 above, plus I use TLC in Guildford as they are a relatively short drive from me and I can reserse kit for collection too.

As for online sellers they are OK till you get failed deliveries, faulty parts, etc, etc - so I only use them for new tools where you WILL save money.

Get good prices from CEF, Neweys & Eddies.

Started using an independant recently though, no-one could touch them on 75x75mm steel & 20mm galv.

EWS in Swansea.

We are mainly CEF at tho moment and although i agree that you do need to keep a eye on prices and make sure returns are credited some time within the next year ! ( but then again they all seem like this if not watched )
We do get on extremely well with our rep , to the point he came to the wedding of my other director last year and is due to come up and stay with my family in the summer with his other half .
It seems others have had big problems with them , but we find their service is second to none most of the time , for things like daily out of hour delivers , it is not uncommon for one of them to do a 400-500 mile round trip to pick parts up that have only been ordered in the morn to be fitted in the afternoon if really needed , and there is a no quibble policy on any returns or warranty gear , and just to add they manged to secure all the extra modules we needed in the December solar rush whilst increasing our credit limit over night by £200,000 to make it work !
So all in all they seem pretty good up till now ?
I think you really do need to build the relationship and rapport though and also paying on receipt of invoice and not 30/60 days latter helps a very large amount !

tlc are generally on the money and the local wholesale route should generally provide you with the best price and service, but as mentioned by others it's a two way street and you have to work at getting a good relationship- more and more wholesalers are poping up on ebay and amazon - i would recommend this one

I dont use CEF but when I have to ie Protius CB I get the do you have an account and when I say no I can hear him making up the price ie top book price

Relationships with the people not the company are what counts as several people have already said. CEF are proving very good since I recently started using the local one, but I make the effort to meet them and have a bit of a chat. Wilts are good that way too, but their stock levels are a real pain at times. That might change now they've been bought though. Electricfix are useful for convenience and price on some stuff, and their deals are usually very good, including tools from the screwfix side of things.

I don't really use online suppliers for materials only tools. It's my experience that you can't beat being eyeball to eyeball with only a counter between you. That works well for good service and building a relationship. It works better than any other form of contact when things go wrong though. You can get fobbed off quite easily by phone or email, but that's rarely the case when you're standing right in front of them.

As for prices, well you can buy cheap materials, and you can buy decent materials cheaply. The saving must be weighed up taking into account the hassle factor of 'shopping around' which usually translates to using unpaid time to save a couple of quid.

I don't use the CU's from Screwfix, B&Q etc as I don't much care for the quality, reliability or ease of fitment. So I tend to stick with Hager and I can get a ten way board fully populated for £81:00 from CEF, £69:00 from Wilts and sometimes at a slightly lower 'offer' price from either (both inc VAT). To me it's just not worth the hassle involved in shopping around to save £25:00 or £30:00 on a board.

One other advantage I've found with using Hager is that when the customer says "But I can get a CU from B&Q for £50:00" I can reply, "Not one of this quality you can't as Hager only supply trade customers."

Reply to cheapest place to shop in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net