Discuss City and Guilds 2365 Electrotechnical in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Think they've took the 2330 and NVQ3, and put them all into one course, mate. The 2365 being that course. That's what I heard talk of anyways!

The 2330 course is dieing, ie last few years to complete.
it was replaced by the 2357 which has problems as it is apprenticeship based course only
So after pressure they are bring out a new course called 2365 which is based around the old and dieing 2330 course.
This course has been approved but the funding for the course has not yet gone through,( any time now it could happen)
If this happens 2330 will no doubt stop and the colleges will offer only 2365 and or 2357 in the futer

Hi, i am haveing the same trouble.
I am starting in september doing
C&G2365 Level 2

454 Guided Learning Hours (GLH)

Electrical Installation Technology - 115 GLH
Principles of Electrical Science - 89 GLH
Installation of Wiring Systems and Equipement - 196 GLH
H&S in Building Services - 26 GLH
Understand Comms in Building Services - 28 GLH

but i have no clue were to find books or research for this as it is new, I was told to research this before i start, and i need help to find the research i need, any have any ideas?

Hi, Im also starting in September and still not had any letter from college that its still going ahead yet there waiting on exam codes before any info is passed out, the funding really screwed things up last year and i ended up talking level 2 electronic and electrical engineering as a stepping stone. Thinks its the same as last year turn up and see what gets pulled out the bag :s

2365 level 2 & 3 has theory and practice elements (similar to 2330) as mentioned above. It does not have the on site NVQ 3 Element or the AM2 element that the 2357 has.

2357: "Apprentice electricians" tend to be offered the 2357 because they can gain the on site NVQ elements by practical experience on site while at work, they also attend college for theory and do the AM2 near the end of the two year course. Once you have completed the course you can apply for an electricians card and be a recognised electrician by the JIB (subject to satisfactory site experience).

2365: If you are not and apprentice or working in the industry the 2365 is possibly a better qualification to start with as you can complete the qualification at college. Once you have the certificate you are at a good level but to be a recognised electrician there is more to do. The 2365 certificate does not in itself entitle you to recognition as a qualified electrician by the JIB. You will have a good qualification but to become fully qualified as an electrician you will have to ADD/BOLT ON further qualifications from the 2357 such as the NVQ on site element from the 2357 and the AM2. After you have taken the extra elements from the 2357 and had relevant site experience you can apply for recognition as a qualified electrician.

2357: To do a 2357, find an employer and sign up as an apprentice, complete the course (inc AM2) and apply for your Electricians card.
2365: To do a 2365, find a college or training centre sign on and complete the course. Then sign up for the BOLT ON NVQ WORK BASED ELEMENTS, find an employer for work based experience or get enough work based experience to collect the necessary evidence somehow? Collect the evidence and do the assessments (same as 2357 NVQ), next do the AM2. Then apply for your status as an electrician.

Funding is generally available for both courses if taken at your local college, but can have some restrictions, the sooner you start the better because once you are over 24 is can be more difficult to obtain funding. Best to ask the training centre (college) about funding as they are the best placed to know. If you can't get a funded course and still want to do a 2365 Level 2 & 3, prices for (none funded coursed) the complete course is around £5,000 to £7,000 inc vat.

PS: If while on a 2365 you find an "employer" willing to train you, you can ask to transfer over from a 2365 to a 2357, the employer will have to sign to accept but it's another option to becoming fully qualified.

I'm currently enrolled on the G&G 2365 L2. I am told by the college once I complete level 2 and 3 I will be a fully qualified electrician but am advised to complete the 17th edition course after which gets you up to date with the IIE wiring regulations etc. and maybe an NVQ course also (this is aimed more at apprentices with a lot of experience, maybe seeking a management role). After level 2 you are qualified as an 'electricians mate'. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm currently enrolled on the G&G 2365 L2. I am told by the college once I complete level 2 and 3 I will be a fully qualified electrician but am advised to complete the 17th edition course after which gets you up to date with the IIE wiring regulations etc. and maybe an NVQ course also (this is aimed more at apprentices with a lot of experience, maybe seeking a management role). After level 2 you are qualified as an 'electricians mate'. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask!

Ask the College again about what the 2365 course qualifies you as once completed. The college should have asked you to sign a disclaimer form when you enrolled on your 2365 course, stating that you understand the 2365 course does NOT qualify you as an electrician only as a mate. Actually there is NO actual qualification issued by the industry recognising a Mate, it is just a general term used by City and Guilds and by the trade in general to describe an unqualified person helping a qualified one. The only card at a similar level are a card stating Labourer, or slightly further up the scale are a Trainee or Apprentice etc. There is not card issued for a Mate by the industry, you don't have to trust me, ask the issuing body (ECS). You will need to add an NVQ Level 3 AND the AM2 to your 2365 (17 edition is part of an electricians qualifications to ensure you are up to date with current regulations) to get a qualified electricians card to work in the industry. Check the ECS (Card) web site, all the info is there.

Ask the College again about what the 2365 course qualifies you as once completed. The college should have asked you to sign a disclaimer form when you enrolled on your 2365 course, stating that you understand the 2365 course does NOT qualify you as an electrician only as a mate. Actually there is NO actual qualification issued by the industry recognising a Mate, it is just a general term used by City and Guilds and by the trade in general to describe an unqualified person helping a qualified one. The only card at a similar level are a card stating Labourer, or slightly further up the scale are a Trainee or Apprentice etc. There is not card issued for a Mate by the industry, you don't have to trust me, ask the issuing body (ECS). You will need to add an NVQ Level 3 AND the AM2 to your 2365 (17 edition is part of an electricians qualifications to ensure you are up to date with current regulations) to get a qualified electricians card to work in the industry. Check the ECS (Card) web site, all the info is there.

Thanks, This is very helpful of you. I do not intend to work on a site, for a company.. I will be working self employed alongside my dad who is a self employed builder of many trades.. Will this matter to me still or is this only relevant if I was to be an employee somewhere, working for an established company?

Still have my ears open for a reply to my last message. Will the 2365 L2&3 give me enough knowledge to start working for myself? I never intend to work for someone who requires a qualification in the first place. I have enrolled on the course purely for knowledge and understanding...

No, Get qualified and then phone the agencies and work as a mate, there is no course in the world that will teach you what you need to know to work for yourself or anyone else

There are no quick routes, apart from if you are talented at the work and move through to feeling competent yourself...

You have to ask yourself, are you worth £100-£200 a day for just knowing a bit of technical knowledge? i.e if you are paying the money to yourself would you??? no, you would get someone that was experienced, nothing can buy that....

Dont let this put you off as there is always work out there....

Still have my ears open for a reply to my last message. Will the 2365 L2&3 give me enough knowledge to start working for myself? I never intend to work for someone who requires a qualification in the first place. I have enrolled on the course purely for knowledge and understanding...

Hi I don't mind replying but it's your college that should be advising you here, have you checked with your college? If you ask the college you will find that the 2365 course does not qualify you as an electrician, it should give you a wealth of knowledge but mainly basic and there is no real substitute for real life practice. There are other courses designed to enable a competent person prove they are technically knowledgeable such as doing a P course. Have you checked? Ask the college and post their reply here, if it's wrong someone will advise. I'd stick with the 2365 course and while you are on it you should learn about certification. It would be good for you to look up part P of the building regulations as it is very pertinent to your question. Part of being competent is understanding the legislation and codes of practice. If you don't think I have answered your question do some reading in the areas I have mentioned and it should become more clear to you. What I'm suggesting is you obtain as much information as you can from as many sources as you can then you will understand the process of self certification and being competent a lot better than you do now. Ask your college if they cover this topic on your course. A qualified electrician who is good at his job can charge £200+ per day and people are willing to pay, so stick at it and learn as much as you can while you can.

Regards.

Hi I don't mind replying but it's your college that should be advising you here, have you checked with your college? If you ask the college you will find that the 2365 course does not qualify you as an electrician, it should give you a wealth of knowledge but mainly basic and there is no real substitute for real life practice. There are other courses designed to enable a competent person prove they are technically knowledgeable such as doing a P course. Have you checked? Ask the college and post their reply here, if it's wrong someone will advise. I'd stick with the 2365 course and while you are on it you should learn about certification. It would be good for you to look up part P of the building regulations as it is very pertinent to your question. Part of being competent is understanding the legislation and codes of practice. If you don't think I have answered your question do some reading in the areas I have mentioned and it should become more clear to you. What I'm suggesting is you obtain as much information as you can from as many sources as you can then you will understand the process of self certification and being competent a lot better than you do now. Ask your college if they cover this topic on your course. A qualified electrician who is good at his job can charge £200+ per day and people are willing to pay, so stick at it and learn as much as you can while you can.

Regards.

Mec, Thanks for your reply. I spoke with my college yesterday about this and they said the same as you. The part P seems ideal and I did contemplate leaving the course but the teacher advised me to stick at this course out as I will have a greater understanding, and upon completing the nvq and 17th edition I will have the opportunity to work almost anywhere and, like you said, for around £200 a day. He said normally the case is that plumbers take up the part p course so they can plumb and wire kitchens and bathrooms. I am going to stick it out and complete l2, l3 (maybe l4!) nvq and 17th edition. I am able to enroll on the nvq course alongside the l2 course I'm doing now. Its only a few weeks long. I think I will work for a company for a few years and then work for myself.

Thanks for your replies everyone! :icon4:

Reply to City and Guilds 2365 Electrotechnical in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net