Discuss Client wants one more panel. Effect his FIT rate? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

saint

-
Reaction score
We installed 16x 235 schot panels during the rush at the end of last year. Now the client would like one more 235w panel which would bring him in just under 4kWp (3995w). The inverter is 3.6 PVi and will take one more panel on one of the two strings.
But i'm not sure where he stands with his FIT. Will adding one more panel bring the whole install down to 21p? Will i need to EPC (D) the house now?

Advise needed thanks

Are you changing the TIC or DNC?
In my opinion NO.
TIC/DNC will remain as the nominal output of the inverter.
If the TIC has not changed then there has been no modification to the installation in FIT legislation terms.
So there is no need to alter the MCS certificate or notify an upgraded /new installation, or tell the DNO.
The small print of the FIT contract might regard it as a modification that needs notifying.
The FIT supplier will not necessarily agree with my interpretation of the definition of TIC in the legislation.

Personally I would just do it, but that is me.
Be aware that there is a risk that your client's FIT supplier might regard it as a change that requires registration, although that would mean he continues to get 16/17 of the generation meter reading at the old rate and 1/17 of the reading at the applicable new lower rate.

Only you and your client can decide whether you want to risk the hassle. Although my personal view is that the legislation allows it, I know some around the country are having a problem with similar issues.

Regards
Bruce

Very well worded Bruce.
Just a suggestion, well more of a question really, what would happen if you fitted one extra panel, but did not tell anybody?
Invoiced as electrical work maybe?
The only time it would come into question is if the system is producing far more than all other 4KW systems, and by adding just one panel I would not have thought this would be the case.
Of course I could not condone this type of practice, but the customer could decide?

We installed 16x 235 schot panels during the rush at the end of last year. Now the client would like one more 235w panel which would bring him in just under 4kWp (3995w). The inverter is 3.6 PVi and will take one more panel on one of the two strings.
But i'm not sure where he stands with his FIT. Will adding one more panel bring the whole install down to 21p? Will i need to EPC (D) the house now?

Advise needed thanks

theres got to be allowance for an alteration of an exhisting pv system i would probably call who im registered with and ask them

Npower have advised the 17th panel will be at 21p with the remaining at 45.4p. EPC (D min) is required for the 17th panel. Amended MCS cert and completed application extension form.

Npower have advised the 17th panel will be at 21p with the remaining at 45.4p. EPC (D min) is required for the 17th panel. Amended MCS cert and completed application extension form.

so will the single panel need its own meter ??? what a load of bob......

I have fitted many 17 x 235w system no probs with fits what a stupid answer from npower

Extensions don't need a separate meter but, as BruceB said, the meter reading will be apportioned between the two applicable tariffs.

Usually that is not a problem (certainly not for a single panel added) but if the extension was larger and maybe suffered differential shading or orientation than the original then a straight apportionment may not reflect the actual production accurately.

Reply to Client wants one more panel. Effect his FIT rate? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net