Discuss Comments - Full Rewire Required - C1 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi All,

A top quality EICR report attached.

I'm detecting an increase in opportunists looking to scare the bejesus out of landlords in particular. This report is utter crap. Everything ticked or N/A on the inspection schedules to suggest all is satisfactory but then some belter C1's in observations, including 'Full Rewire Required". Same chap uses scaremongering of the likes of 'hefty fines or even imprisonment' for negligent landlords, and was offering EICR's for as little as £75 including VAT at one point.

I'm to visit the site this morning to try and get a sense of it. The same chap has already upgraded the consumer unit but does it need a rewire? I mean 'Resistance values low for all circuits?' - I take it he means IR but schedule of test results indicate all OK. What will I find.

I feel something should happen to stop this sort of carry on - but what?

Thats one cracking certificate, christ did they actually know what thet are looking at?

How can a rewire be a C1? Its not even taken place!

See loads of these things, when I post on SM I dont bother redacting the details of the electrician/company, name and shame is the game!

On another note - EICR's can only be a good thing for landlords, tenants and electrical safety. The landlord gives me the impression that he cares about electrical safety but had no reason to suspect anything was unsafe.
Totally agree after a couple I just looked at. There are good landlords out there who care. It's frustrating when a report intended to help a landlord does nothing to do that. Reading this report the landlord would logically conclude that he needs to take steps to increase the resistance of all circuits!

Anyone notice the apparent Zs@db of 2.6 ohms? Ze is fine. I'd hope most people would do a double take and wonder it they had reconnected the main earth.
With board location "Outhouse" supplied from "Kitchen" one suspects there is mass copy and pasting going on here.

As with most things in life these chancers are out there.
People have a great opportunity to research on line these days. So why the hell don't they ??
Years ago before the internet, it wasn't so easy to do that.
But now is very different.
We had 3 builders quote for an extension. One was a third the price of the other two wanting 5 grand up front. I wonder how many would have gone down that road ? In the end you have to research, and if it sounds to good to be true, you know it will be.
Just had to find a decent electrician to wire the extension. ?

Quick update.
Spent much of the day there - and its only a 2 bed house. Such a mess though.
Previous EICR/EIC paperwork was no help at-all.
It was a bad board change too, tails not upgraded from 10mm, main earth is still 6mm and no bonding to water intake. Big holes, no grommet strip, cables not taken in to the enclosure. Board loose. Switchgear poorly located on the din rail so you could barely get the cover on/off. No sleeving on earths.
I had to split a couple of circuits to try and make sense of it. So I split the lights into two circuits, and the 'ring' on the B32 had no ring continuity on any conductors so split that.
A radial 2.5mm circuit serving 2 kitchen sockets was on a B32 so changed that breaker as well.

Shower was actually OK - B32/6mm (so more bullsh*t busting).
The oven was 'plug and play' and so protected by its own fuse (so that cable wasn't undersized either).

Some strange things as well, like the cpc of one of the lighting circuits was plaited into the cpc of one of the socket circuits (I don't mean twisted together, I actually mean plaited)?!

Not much right about the install/report at-all.

...but the place does need some work.....

Thats one cracking certificate, christ did they actually know what thet are looking at?

How can a rewire be a C1? Its not even taken place!

See loads of these things, when I post on SM I dont bother redacting the details of the electrician/company, name and shame is the game!
I'd like to name and shame but his dad might be bigger than my dad!

You have to remember that electrickery is some form of black art. Apart from some of the more blatant stuff, most people wouldn't be able to tell a safe install from a dangerous one - it's not like being able to see (for example) a roof sagging because the timbers are grossly undersized, or water leaking out of a poorly soldered joint.
And of course, if the con artists are members of a scam, err I mean scheme, then the expectation is that they are qualified, competent, and will do a good job - because that's what the scams keep telling Joe public.
And at the moment, there's a lot of EICRs to be done - so some landlords are in a panic to get them done. I've agreed with our tenant to go and do our rental house next week - but I know what I expect to find, nothing having changed since the last one 10 years ago.

I've a concern over the shower actually - because there are obvious signs of heat damage at the connection to the shower and connections seemed very tight too. I wanted to cut back and re-terminate but there is no slack. Not ideal as I don't really want to have to extend inside the enclosure (might be the lesser evil).

I know 6mm to run a 9.5KW is not ideal either, and it's against manufacturers install guidance for this model. Cable run is fairly straightforward and I'd say there are no derating factors - its clipped direct/in-trunking.

The damage could well be historical with the previous OCPD (whatever that was) failing to disconnect if long showers were taken on full load - but it's on a B32 now.

20210315_141511303_iOS.jpg

that looks an excellent report. also you can see what's going on in that CU now. only 1 thnig spotted with EICR.......you have 1363 for main fuse.?. obviously a typo. and i like all those evidential pics.

Excellent work / report , hats off to you , I’m amazed you got all that done in the industry standard 15 minutes thou...:)

Looks like a good report although it does need a proof read and some points clarifying the references to "Circuit Protective Conductors seen throughout including the lighting circuit. " and then indicating no CPC's at a number of lighting points is a bit confusing
Picture 10 I would add "some" with regard to the remedial work

Was expecting to see Inspected By Marcus Vaughan, Reviewed and Authorised for issue by electriciansforums.net??

Very Nice. both the report and the finished terminations in the board.

I would probably disagree with only one coding, but won’t as it’s your call and your the inspector.

Changed my mind.
I would probably C2 an unsecured board, but accept your C3 as it’s your call as the inspector.

One more thing. It takes either a brave, stupid or good sparkie to post there work on here.
I’m not sure if your brave.
I don’t think your stupid..
id conclude, good.

Typo on photo 9 - Cloth (clith) - not a criticism, just bringing to you attention.

Wish all the "reports" I got handed to review were as good as this.

(Although to be fair if the reports are good - I never get to see them!)

Reply to Comments - Full Rewire Required - C1 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net