Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss compatibility of intruder alarm accessories. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
fitting an intruder alarm for a friend as a red cross job, needs it doing on the cheap...

so i like fitting the veritas r8 systems with panel and rkp, simple, but have a friend with alot of unbranded pir sensers and external bell boxes up for grabs, i know im not going to have a problem with the door contacts but will the pir's and bell box work?

oh and also the panel will be the in the utility, quite far away from the sleeping area so what sort of internal alarm speaker is required? only ever fitted one, i think it had just a 2core connection? cheers

Generally most P.I.R.'s can be used (mix n max) in fact I have several different types connected to my own house alarm. External speaker is usually and extension off the panels onboard sounder so yes normally a 2 core. Whatever bell box you use contact the manufacture's helpline for correct terminal connections (they do vary). I'm no professional alarm installer but I've done quite a few in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
no problem with PIRs. any make will do. external sounders are all compatible but you may have to think a little on the connections. internal sounder is just a boxed extension speaker, usually 8/16ohms and is wired in parallel with the panel speaker.

Underdog, i use the R8 all the time and never get texecom/veritas PIR's. Any will suffice, same as the bell box/sounder. The sounder always come with a list of alarm panel connections for a variety pf panels. As per telectrix, the two core is enough for the sounder, but that depends on where you are installing it. If it is some where the public gave access, i would use at least a four core and try and incorporate some kind of tamper switch in it! You can also get extension speakers which have need their own power supply (13v), so you would be up to 6 core! If you wire the system before you get all the parts, like the speaker, i would be using 6 core - just in case!

i always use 8 core to everything. partly as , sometimes on a long run, it's advisable to double up conductors for the 12v supply to devices. ( volt drop ). the extension sounders that reqiure 12v are sirens not entry/exit sounders and as such are wired in with the external sounder. the speaker type double up as entry/exit sounder and internal alarm

Last edited:
if you want tamper protection on the wiring, you will need 6 core wire, 2 for power, 2 for trigger and 2 for tamper. most pirs have 6 terminals, but you can run the alarm without the tamper, you have tp loop it out in the panel. bell boxes usually use 5 wires.. for internal alarm sounder, ask for a sound bomb, cheap and cheerful

sound bomb is ok for an internal siren but can't be used for entry/exit tone. for that you need an extension speaker. and you don't wire alarms without tamper. thaqt's like wiring a ring final without cpc. it will work, but.......

Last edited:
i always use 8 core to everything. partly as , sometimes on a long run, it's advisable to double up conductors for the 12v supply to devices. ( volt drop ). the extension sounders that reqiure 12v are sirens not entry/exit sounders and as such are wired in with the external sounder. the speaker type double up as entry/exit sounder and internal alarm
If there is significant drop in voltage on a cable run to a detector, fit an auxiliary psu but it needs to be a long run for this to happen. If the cable run is that long in a domestic alarm, it must be a BIG house...
BTW, if you can, use good quality alarm cable. I have had to replace too many cables over the years due to poor quality. A lot of EOL detectors have jumper settings for different value resistors, 1K, 4.7K etc but I have usually found that they have the facility to use the n/c circuit as well.
An external sounder can be ran from 4 core at a push, but you would be doubling up with a link from the bell trigger to the strobe, so the strobe stops when the siren does. Personally I dont use 4 core ever...

thanks for the help! i will be using 8 core allround just to save buying 2 rolls of cable!

just out of interest does anyone fit window contacts? seems abit pointless as who breaks in by opening a window, when it will be locked!

Very few people fit window contacts nowadays, generally installers use inertia sensors (shock sensors) that pick up attacks on the exterior of the window before they actually gain entry

Hi I am a novice to and have the same problem with a Euro Mini alarm system. I have a red and black wire for my 12v sound bomb and I'm not sure on which terminals to attach them. Where the bell box is wired into the panel I have the choice of the following terminals. +12v / 0v / bell tamper / bell trigger/ strobe trigger. I've tried putting it across the +12v / 0v terminals and it just sounds continuously! Please help!!

wire the sound bomb red to bell + and black to bell trigger. this will make the sound bomb stop when the bell stops. if you want it to keep sounding till panel is reset then take the black to strobe trigger.

it had better do. i've been installing alarms (amongst other things) for over 30 years.

Reply to compatibility of intruder alarm accessories. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net