Discuss Compressor wiring question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Roto1one

DIY
Reaction score
I need to run an outlet for my 220volt air compressor in my shop. I do not want to leave it plugged in constantly and would like to run it through a switch. Can I put a switch in one of the 110volt legs to cut the power?

110 & 220 volt were obsolete before the 2nd world war, as long as it is not a disconnect it is allowed only break one leg of a 240V circuit, it is quite common in air conditioning condenser units, that being said I would use a 2 pole switch rated for the motors horsepower.

110 & 220 volt were obsolete before the 2nd world war, as long as it is not a disconnect it is allowed only break one leg of a 240V circuit, it is quite common in air conditioning condenser units, that being said I would use a 2 pole switch rated for the motors horsepower.
Thank You for the information.

Reply to Compressor wiring question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all. Yesterday I wired in my 3 phase compressor to run off our 53kva generator. I just need to know which colour cable is for which phase as...
Replies
Views
Bought an air compressor at auction. Looks to have been previously hooked up in the previous owners shop. It has two wire Romex coming from the...
Replies
Views
I am back to try and hook up my Frankenstein compressor. 60 gal tank, Ebay 5hp motor, HF 5 HP, 145 PSI V-Style Single Stage Cast Iron Air...
Replies
Views
The air conditioning on my Vauxhall Astra J has stopped working and I'm running out of ideas on how to fix it. Steps so far: The compressor clutch...
Replies
Views
I need to add shop lights to my basement. I currently have one baseboard heater that runs straight to the breaker. Its a cadet 240v/4.2amp 1000w...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock