Discuss Confused...max electrode resistance with RCD? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

DaveS

-
Reaction score
Sorry guys. Probably sick of me by now got exam tmrw and checked old posts and books but still bit confused with allowable max electrode values. Does max 200 ohms still apply if RCD is inplace? If so why do we even have a max resistance for rcd disconnection if these values are so much more than 200? Cheers

you're getting confused. a Ra value as low as possible with a TT system is desirable. BS7671 suggests that a value of >200 ohms may not be stable, but it does not stipulate a max. value. a 30mA RCD will disconnect with values up to 1667, but that's more like a get out of jail free card for not getting an acceptable Ra/Ze.

Sorry guys. Probably sick of me by now got exam tmrw and checked old posts and books but still bit confused with allowable max electrode values. Does max 200 ohms still apply if RCD is inplace? If so why do we even have a max resistance for rcd disconnection if these values are so much more than 200? Cheers
Can I ask, do you think 200 ohms (Zs) would provide satisfactory disconnection without an RCD?

Cheers Telectrix so this does infact mean that with the use of RCD even with a high Ra/ze we are still complying with all required regs if under say the 1667 of RCD 30ma

Can I ask, do you think 200 ohms (Zs) would provide satisfactory disconnection without an RCD?

a dead short would give a fault current od 230V/200ohms . i.e. 1.15A. how's that going to blow a 100A fuse?

Cheers Telectrix so this does infact mean that with the use of RCD even with a high Ra/ze we are still complying with all required regs if under say the 1667 of RCD 30ma
the problem is with TT systems that if you c an't get a Ra/Ze of <1 ohm, then you are relying on the RCD for fault protection, so the 1667 figure is the limit.

take the time to read the questions properly and make sure you know what they want.

take the time to read the questions properly and make sure you know what they want.
Thanks tel. I've put quite a few hours into it hopefully be ok although going through some papers tonight did misread quite a few things will watch out for that. Early night tonight for me I think

Good luck for the exam. Just remember cardinal rules

• Multiple choice read them all first and do the ones you know first. Don't spend too much time on ones your not sure about and then run out of time
  • Read the question, and really read it, the C&G love wording questions that can be ambiguous
  • Terminology it is not a Meggar it is an insulation resistance, it's a ring final circuit, not a ring main, this is vital and so easy to get wrong.
  • Try and chill, don't panic and just think things over.

And good luck

Reply to Confused...max electrode resistance with RCD? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net