Discuss conservatory fitters, worse than kitchen bodgers? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
wiring an extension at the moment, first fix complete. got a call from builder ( this one's a good one ). "can you come out, there's a cable across the new doorway we've just cut out". thinking that this is impossible, as i had not installed any cables there, gets to site to find a new doorway cut from existing conservatory to new extension, with a 2.5mm cable strung across about 2ft from floor, on the conservatory side. fair play to builder, he'd not damaged it cutting the brickwork. this cable is totally out of safe zones, find out that it,s buried from a socket 6ft away, but 1ft higher than the socket. this socket is spurred off the rfc in the house. the single 2.5m then goes all round the conservatory, feeding a 2kw panel heater and 2 more double sockets. not a FCU in sight.

i cut the cable in the doorway, diverted into cavity, pvc tubed down, under and up with M/F connectors in through boxes, i will fit FCU at 1st socket, but have to leave the out of safe zone cable as is because rectification would mean chasing out virtually all round the conservatory, including getting past an existing door.

how can these bodgers get away with it?

unfortunately, the thing was done about 10 years ago. previous owner, or i'd be on the phone if i knew who was responsible.

unfortunately that happens all the time,I worked for a short spell wiring conservatories and the stunts they pull are unbelievable,they have been known to run cable for the light up in between the frame and the wall and hope they dont hit it when they fix the frame!

Reply to conservatory fitters, worse than kitchen bodgers? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I'll start by saying - I have absolutely no intention of doing any wiring or anything electrical myself. You get someone professional to do a...
Replies
Views
We have a room in the house that was the kitchen. That has been relocated to a different area, so the old kitchen has been sold off and the room...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m new to the forum. Thanks for letting me join. Asking for some diy advicd… I’m trying to add a couple more security lights to the existing...
Replies
Views
Hi there, Just about to move into a house with 2 small kids and the wiring/electrics haven't been updated in years (hard to know as it's probate)...
Replies
Views
Sorry two questions today. We had the kitchen rewired based on existing units, but with a slightly new layout it puts the dishwasher right over...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock