Currently reading:
Consumer Unused Spare ways

Discuss Consumer Unused Spare ways in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am fitting a new dual CU that comes with 10MCBs. For those that are unused is it acceptable to just leave them installed but switched off and identified as unused. Or should they be removed and replaced with blanks?

I ALWAYS remove and only for one reason... To stop silly DIYers taking a new circuit into a spare breaker.

Here's an example.

My consumer unit cupboard is rather dark... I know, I'll wire a light in there. That working on a fuseboard looks really easy after watching that spark. It's only a few wires it'll be fine.

Yep, until those few pieces of a 1.5mm scrap cable, ancient light and switch found in the garage end up in a 32A breaker.... One day... BOOM!!!!, neee naaaaa neeeee naaaaaa. Oh hello fireman Sam, not sure what that electrician did when he was here but my fuse board is on fire now, Plleeeeeeeeaaaaase Help????

Not sure about that one....if there's no spare breaker they'll just dob it in with the cooker circuit!

Because It's lazy, maybe rough wasn't the right word but I would say it is very poor practice. The breaker is serving no purpose and the average homeowner is an idiot. It may not be labelled but Joe average probably think's it is doing something

sorry but i disagree, lazy? which is easyer/quicker connecting a breaker or slaping in a blank, "Very bad practice"? why?

sorry but i disagree, lazy? which is easyer/quicker connecting a breaker or slaping in a blank, "Very bad practice"? why?

IMHO it would only amount to 'Bad practice' if a copy of circuit details were not left adjacent to board highlighting the fact that (X) breaker was a unused way, this was my whole point of my post regarding regs for circuit identification ( Which someone got arsy with me for ), it's important that an unskilled person knows what to switch of or reset
J

On Hagar boards the edges of the cover surrounding the MCB's is shaped so it does not accept clip in blanks. I'd like to think they've designed it this way because they too fear the dangers of a clips in 'falling out'. Personally, I think it's so you are forced into buying Hagar parts. Although I agree in using din rail/bus bar mounted blanks where possible I don't like the Hagar design as when you come across a board with a bloody great hole in the front of it you can't fill it unless you've got Hagar blanks on board, unlikley if you don't fit them yourself.
I personally use Starbreaker boards with insulated bus bars which negates the needs for a return to 'having to nip the plasitc off' or 'a blue clip'

Guys I think you have to look at the history of this go back 25 years and a wylex push button MCB was £6 thats £20 in todays prices so a 8 way consumer unit was about £90 then hence when you go to an old job there is either a blank or the old 3036 fuse fitted as the spare way or on a site to keep costs down they fitted blanks now fast forward today and you get a fully fitted board for £70 and as you can see in a previous post in a rental property I fit the din rail "dummy" MCB which looks the part plus does not confuse anybody if I am fitting one in a private property I do the same but I leave the spare breakers as I see this as good customer service and they are happy that you leave them. Also when I upgrade an intruder alarm I always leave the engineers code( and manual) at factory setting and inform the customer that i do this because a lot of alarm companies put their code in so when there is a problem they want £130 callout to come and reset the low battery fault plus they charge £90 plus vat of course for a new battery in this case the customer appreciates this and I get return work so as the Merkat would say Simple

IMHO it would only amount to 'Bad practice' if a copy of circuit details were not left adjacent to board highlighting the fact that (X) breaker was a unused way, this was my whole point of my post regarding regs for circuit identification ( Which someone got arsy with me for ), it's important that an unskilled person knows what to switch of or reset
J

At the risk of being contriversial, I think this reg is a big waste of the customers money. To be proffesional it means that after the job, printing out the test result sheet, putting in a plastic envelope or laminating it and then returning to the property to fix it next to the CU. This extra labour has to be allowed for in the customers invoice unless you work for free and the customer couldn't reall care less. It's only usefull if it's commercial where other sparkies are likely to work on the installation.
I did it on my first ELECSA assessment but none since, no-ones mentioned it.
The customer knows whats what from the clear labelling on the CU
All my own opinion of course.

J
ok i understand the regs, but even without the all important chart, the customer will re-set the breaker that had tripped(would be identified anyway), and if anyone working on the board in the future couldnt identify a spare circuit then, well they souldnt even be there.

It only takes 5 mins to copy across your data from the EIC to another chart, or you could just copy the cert test pages and leave them there,is anyone gonna die if you don't ? no of course not, the customer couldn't care less ? well perhaps they don't but thats no excuse for that little bit of extra effort is it ?
J

I take them out and put decent blanks in, i only fit Hager boards so I can always get hold of good blanks. Personally I think It's rough to leave unused MCB's in. If your concerned about the customer having paid for them then give them to the customer instead of leaving them in the board.

So the customer can try and fit them himself at a later date , which is much much safer ???

I think the discussion around this trivial subject is getting a bit silly now.
Leave them in , dont leave them in , its not bad practice either way , BS7671 doesnt care either way.
A bit of perspective and common sense serves better than some of the daft claims being made.

It is essemtial in commercial/industrial etc. and most jobs won't get signed of till the clip frames are on the wall, always a last minute apprentice job!
Don't really seee the need on domestic though, I have never seen a house with one and I have tested a lot! However with a lot of sparks doing paperwork on the PC now, would it really take more then 5 mins to make one up and at least give it to the customer with their invoice? (p.s. I dont work for myself, so tell me to jog on if you want!)

If the fuseboard labelling isn't clear, I can't help myself but to correct it after finishing testing!, even if that means tippex out!

Forgot to mention though, although I don't leave MCB's in, I don't really care or think its a regulation or even a 'best practise issue' Just a minor point!

So the customer can try and fit them himself at a later date , which is much much safer ???
I look at it this way way if a customer gets you in to fit a CU they aint going to start running new circuits and fitting a MCB I had a customer tell me he got a shower fitted a year after I fitted the CU the company made a big deal about electrical safety so when they sent their "spark" in he was chuffed that there was RCD protection plus spare MCBs for the shower and electric towel rail

I think the discussion around this trivial subject is getting a bit silly now.
Leave them in , dont leave them in , its not bad practice either way , BS7671 doesnt care either way.
A bit of perspective and common sense serves better than some of the daft claims being made.

well said biff, its easy to get cought up in these discussions, sorry for my part, ill keep leaving them in, and if people wana leave em out good on ya,

It only takes 5 mins to copy across your data from the EIC to another chart, or you could just copy the cert test pages and leave them there,is anyone gonna die if you don't ? no of course not, the customer couldn't care less ? well perhaps they don't but thats no excuse for that little bit of extra effort is it ?
J

Not if they are hand written no, unless you have a laminator on the van though it would be a bit hard to provide a 'durable' copy' My certs are filled out on a laptop which would require a return visit to the property which would take considerably more than 5 mins. How many sparks on here can honestly say that they fix up a durable copy of their test sheet at every CU change they do, not many I think...

It is essemtial in commercial/industrial etc. and most jobs won't get signed of till the clip frames are on the wall, always a last minute apprentice job!
Don't really seee the need on domestic though, I have never seen a house with one and I have tested a lot! However with a lot of sparks doing paperwork on the PC now, would it really take more then 5 mins to make one up and at least give it to the customer with their invoice? (p.s. I dont work for myself, so tell me to jog on if you want!)

If the fuseboard labelling isn't clear, I can't help myself but to correct it after finishing testing!, even if that means tippex out!

Forgot to mention though, although I don't leave MCB's in, I don't really care or think its a regulation or even a 'best practise issue' Just a minor point!
jog on
just kiddin:cheesy:

well said biff, its easy to get cought up in these discussions, sorry for my part, ill keep leaving them in, and if people wana leave em out good on ya,

Nothing wrong with a good discussion on even dull topics , but everyone has the " well i had a customer who did this , that and the other" type stories - it doesnt prove anything either way to be honest.

I always fit blanks ,never leave spare mcb's in a board - many years ago i got called out to a lady who had lost her Lounge light, and she pointed to me that a mcb was off and underneath it was marked lights, strange i thought for 1 light to be on its own, well I reset the mcb and went back to the light, itturned out it was just a dodgy lampholder - pins not making, upon removing the consumer unit cover I could see the mcb had no out going circuit!, this I feel is why I was taught to always remove them and I still do.;-)

Reply to Consumer Unused Spare ways in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock