Discuss Contact Your MP - Mine is voting for the motion tonight!! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SRE

Like many of you I got this email this morning. I'm not a political animal but I contacted my MP when it all kicked off at the end of October and this morning I sent the suggested email below. I've just had a conversation with our MP, explained the situation and he's voting tonight for the labour motion to delay the cut off date and has offered to send details of the specific impact it will have on our business to DECC.

I was quite impressed that he responded within a couple of hours and would really encourage anyone who can find time to send an email.

Lobby of Parliament - a Big Thank You!

I have to start this with a huge thank you to those who turned out yesterday for the Lobby of Parliament. Given there were just 14 working days left till the ridiculous 12th December deadline, it was remarkable that so many turned out to lobby MPs. Just imagine how many would have come had there not been so much to do finishing as many planned installations as possible before the rate cut. SolarPowerPortal have a nice write up of the day.

The good news for anyone feeling sorry they couldn't make it - or those who did are and feeling inspired - is that today we have another chance to pile the pressure on Parliament. See below

Parliament debates FITs cuts

At about 4pm today MPs will start debating FITs cut in a session initiated by the Labour Party. MPs will vote on it at about 7pm this evening. This gives us just a few hours to pile the pressure on again - and insist our MPs do the right thing.

There are likely to be two votes tonight. First, MPs will vote on Labour's motion. If that is defeated (which it ususally is as Labour have less MPs than the other side) there will be a second vote on the amendment tabled by the Government. You can read them in full here.

We need you to call your MP and ask him/her to vote for the first motion. Only this one calls for the 12th December deadline to be extended - something we know many LibDems and Conservatives have called for.

If your MP is on the Government side, they may point out parts of their motion that we would probably all welcome - proposals for community tariffs, talk about how we need a sustainable future for the industry, even some comments on errors made in the past and how FITs could be made more predictable in future (though in the short form of a motion, these are just vague aspirations - the devil will obviously come in the detail).

However none of this is relevant if the industry is crippled by the early cuts - which is why any MP who has said that deadline should be pushed back is doing your business a big disservice by voting against the first motion. You must make this point really clear - of course we want them to vote for the date to be set back, but by making clear voting against a delay is the worst thing they can do, you might at least persuade them to abstain. You have a particularly strong case if your MP has told you privately, or in a letter (as many have) that they are concerned about the date being too soon - will they vote in line with that view or against it?

If you do not have your MP's phone number, you can call the House of Commons switchboard on 020 7219 3000 and ask for their office. If you cannot get to talk to anyone, ask the switchboard operator to take a short message from you and put it "on the board". A good message would be "Please vote for the 12th December deadline to be set back in the solar debate today - If possible, please call me on --- so I can explain why."

If you can add to the pressure even more with a quick email or tweet to your MP, so much the better.

Already today, one Conservative MP has said he will abstain from the vote because he thinks the deadline is too soon. Pleaes make your 'phone calls so we can build on it.

Best wishes

Martyn Williams
Cut Don't Kill - Our Solar Future

My Lib Dem MP is going with the party line. Her party has had my vote for all my adult life but she can whistle long and hard out of her backside if she thinks I'll be voting for her next year, the titted monster.

Been watching all afternoon with my laptop on my knee. Some of the "action" has made me seeth. It always happens when you see MP's discussing something that you have even a slight knowledge of.

One point I will make is did we all imagine the feed in tariff reduction that was going to happen in March?
It seem that the govt are making a decision to cut the FITs and everybody else was expecting the rate to stay the same forever.
Chris Hugne actully said- I have lots of installers sayng they felt a cut was needed- but only after last months announcement, and none had said it before. Which, is a load of rubbish.

Its been enlightening watching the debate though. A lot of people talking and none (almost) listening.

I'm still watching - all hot air, wish we could harness that, we'd be worth a fortune! The guy from Sedgfield is the only one who managed to point out the increase in prices because of the short timescale. Some of the muppetry is just unbelievable :cuss:

Innit? Some absolute rubbish being spouted by plenty of people- on both sides of the debate.

ETA: That said, I've still sat here watching mindnumbing statements by people who know very little and not even dared go for a pee or make a brew just in case somebody says something good.

Right- fingers crossed

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Thats that then. Good luck to everybody.

Whooah, extra time? I dont know whats going on now. Whats Division?

Last edited by a moderator:
BBC Parliament channel, 612 on virgin, not too sure about freeview or sky.

Its all over now, but I still dont know what happened. I'm fairly sure its not a good result but I'm confused.

I've sat here trying to understand what the hell's going on, seen two votes and now there talking about Bowel Cancer? What I miss?????? I must of blinked or something.

There were more votes in favour of not taking up Labours motion to stop the 12th Dec date and the second vote was to uphold the existing 12th Dec date.

so im left with a 10k insulation due on Monday and my investments in the hands of a postal service that cant post and a energy company who doesnt want to give this money out great.I feel betrayed but not half as much as people who have their livelihood in this.I think its a case of "weve got ours bollox with you".Wonder how many friends and family of MPs got told about this MUCH earlier.

They have voted to keep the reduction to 21p. Bet they've all got their systems registered now, the greedy expense grabbing ****s.

Our Mp (Conservative) opened our Showroom earlier this year and said
'' How he was pleased to support a growing business started from scratch with no external help in a new industry which was exactly what was required to help the country help dig its way out of recession''.
I bet I know which way he voted !

Sad news, but not really any surprise. An about-turn was never very likely as these buffoons would have to admit they had made an error. Better to throw the industry down the pan rather than lose face in the "house". I have to say that I have taken a fresh look at Greenpeace, the CBI and even Labour in their efforts to stand up for PV. I will be having a long hard think before renewing my MCS and REA club membership

Reply to Contact Your MP - Mine is voting for the motion tonight!! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net