Discuss Contactors and Relays (anti vibration ?) in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

hmmm so a solid state is not wired the same as a dol start stop on circuit?

It is more or less but requires extra protection knowledge of the suitability of different types of SSR's for inductive loads ...you cannot just pick one up off the shelf and fit it if you don't know what the different natures of SSR devices are out there or you'll receive an expensive lesson plus you also still require motor protection in the form of a motor O/L device, now if this was afforded by a contactor mounted device then this will now be unsuitable and you need to purchase a stand alone unit.

EDIT just seen your link... this is a newish version of an SSR and yes looks suitable to me and gets around a lot of the issues Ive just mentioned by the looks of it... Ill still need to read up on its requirements for semi conductor protection.

Last edited:
Thanks dark wood I have telemec gv2 mccb protecting the motor and contactor and by the looks of the aux contacts looks like it has no and nc so might be an easy swap

Yes just looking at the protection of these devices and it does look like you need to still have Semi-conductor fusing ... it give faster S/C overcurrent protection to the SSC than standard fusing and most times will save it in the event of a S/C but like anything, it won't always. To note these devices like standard relays/contactors can fail closed so your operating system needs to have other means of taking the power out and a standard mcb may not protect the destruction of the SSC hence semi-conductor fusing required to save you having to change the whole thing everytime you get a fault.

You are fitting an electronic device so this was my concern about needing the extra measures to protect it from been destroyed when doing its job under a fault condition.

Last edited:
Yes I have an E-stop circuit in place, so would the small glass fuses do the job? Is it just to protect the control circuit or for the main 3phases??

Yes I have an E-stop circuit in place, so would the small glass fuses do the job? Is it just to protect the control circuit or for the main 3phases??

Its to protect the SSC or SSR from overcurrent associated with short circuits not the control circuit. - read the info supplied with said SSC you linked to - it explains the fusing and give make and sizes of semi-conductor fuse ratings to match the motor your supplying.... TBH with no disrespect here .. if your getting involved with this stuff you will become responsible for all the safety and operation of the system by making any upgrades or alterations or additions... as you are asking these questions I'm assuming your not clued up on the Low Voltage Directive or the BS EN 60204-1, you can change like for like as a repair but any upgrade addition or alteration then you need to do a full assessment on the existing to ensure it complies to modern criteria - you are putting a lot of responsibility upon yourself here without a leg to stand on, if someone is injured by this machine regardless whether it was nothing to do with anything you did then you been the last to make a alteration, change or addition to the existing are responsible and will be the man to answer why you didn't bring it in line with modern regulation when you was altering the controls as you would need to to correctly implement a SSC ..... you could omit the Semi-conductor (after a risk assesment regarding its failure) and class it as a like for like but any faults will require the whole SSC to be replaced everytime but the whole weight of responsibility won't be burdened as heavily on your shoulders if you can convince them its a like for like.

Other things to consider are if you are self-employed then your PL and PI insurance will need to know you are working both on machinery and 3ph systems ..if you have not informed them then you are not allowed to work on such systems because you are uninsured... if you work for a company ensure they are covered for your work.

Last edited:
I would suggest moving the panel if the vibration is as bad as you describe.

Or mount panel on anti vibration mounts, I have done this in the past.

Sometimes the obvious solution can get overlooked

Last edited:
I haven't no Marvo but it cant be as the large 400a contactor and altistart soft starter are not dropping out and the hammer its self carries on running and never trips/ looses retain circuit !

Reply to Contactors and Relays (anti vibration ?) in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock