Discuss Convert food trailer from 16-32amp in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
Can somebody advise please. I’ve recently bought a food trailer which is wired at 16amp. I’m wanting to run more electrical stuff and I’ve been told I’ll need 32amp. Will the trailer need a complete re-wire or is it just a case of changing the inlet socket and fuse/junction box?

All and any advice appreciated

It would need a bit of investigation as it depends on what is already in there for protecting any circuits.

If you have a small distribution board with a few breakers then you could up-rate the supply cable to that and add another breaker or two for the additional loads. However if that can't be easily modified (or maybe not present?) then a new board would be needed and I suspect the challenge would be space on a typical trailer.

Hopefully someone with real experience of such installations can comment soon!

If you can post a photo of any existing board (also with any cover up to reveal the breakers) that might help.

What is the trailer being powered from?
Generator, if so what size is it, or plugged into mains, if so what size is the socket 16a or 32amp and is there a limit set by the supplier to that socket, regardless of the size?

Assuming there is the capacity from the supply for 32a, then the power inlet (fixed plug) on the trailer would need to be changed for a 32amp and the cable from there into the Distribution board.
Also the trailing lead you plug in would need to be upgraded.

Reply to Convert food trailer from 16-32amp in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

First time DIY post here…. My wife and I bought an old, run down 70’s lake trailer and ran into an AC wiring issue. Our thermostat is wired...
Replies
Views
Hello all of you lovely electric-minded folks, I've read a few threads in the forums but none have explained what I'm looking to find out -...
Replies
Views
I recently bought a catering trailer and have been advised I need to have it re wired using SY cable. I can't find much information about this and...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've got a small catering business out of a converted horse trailer and purchased an inverter generator to power the trailer, mainly just...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, Sorry for all the questions. With he help of a friend, I recently installed some insulation into my mother's loft. Whilst adding...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock