Discuss copper conduit possible or not in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi
I am doing a job where the client wants some sockets wired in copper conduit for surfaced mounted sockets on a exposed concrete wall....
has anyone ideas- or steer them towards just using galv!

Copper Spraypaint maybe ?
I have saw some knocked up copper light fittings
and personally don't see any problem with using 22mm copper pipe as containment as long as its adequately earthed.
But I could be wrong perhaps there is some reg lurking somewhere which I'm not aware of prohibiting the use of copper pipe etc.

Copper Spraypaint maybe ?
I have saw some knocked up copper light fittings and personally don't see any problem with using 22mm copper pipe as containment as long as its adequately earthed.
But I could be wrong perhaps there is some reg lurking somewhere which I'm not aware of prohibiting the use of copper pipe etc.
will just be a few straight stabs of it going from a socket straight into plasterboard ceiling- so can earth the glav conduit through using a coupler and bush and fly leading the back box- but how would this be done if using copper pipe? is there a simular thing to a bush+coupler for copper pipe?

there will be no accessible place to be able to bond in with out it being on show and look crap lol

I believe Marvo has done it.

Personally I would try to steer the customer towards steel conduit, for one thing because as mentioned the fittings are already available and purpose made.
If you're going to paint galvanised conduit you'll most likely need to prime it first otherwise the paint won't stick to the zinc coating.

will just be a few straight stabs of it going from a socket straight into plasterboard ceiling- so can earth the glav conduit through using a coupler and bush and fly leading the back box- but how would this be done if using copper pipe? is there a simular thing to a bush+coupler for copper pipe?

there will be no accessible place to be able to bond in with out it being on show and look crap lol

solder or compression fitting ?

Bond it above the ceiling?
Or maybe a conlock bush and jaggy washer?
Conlok Adapter - https://www.fixmart.co.uk/prod/conlok-adapter
Dunno though maybe it wouldn’t be such a great idea to use pipe as risteard said it’s not BS or EN standard for conduit....

Would there be a thermal consideration to consider?

Water freezes in copper pipes outside. Would PVC twin and skin be ok in copper pipe when winter hits -10 and beyond?

IMG_0678.JPG
IMG_0679.JPG

You could use 20mm pvc conduit and slide over a length of 22mm copper and fix it with copper saddles, so in effect the copper pipe is not really part of the containment.
The copper pipe won’t go over the conduit adapter, but would it look ok with a black adapter at the accessory box?
Just a thought......

Reply to copper conduit possible or not in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net