Search the forum,

Discuss Cos we're living in a world of fools.....and i really need to know.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

ed-ectrician

...how deep is your chase!!

So...I like grinding out the sides of chases then smashing out the middle with a nice sds.

Do you lot reckon a 115 diameter one would be big enough? Or do i need a 230mm one.

THANKS

Ed

personally I think a JCB would suit you down to the ground :rockon: ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.

I set my chaser to about 35mm deep and 40mm wide, so the capping has to be wrapped into the chase so it holds itself there. Means i dont lose any knuckles or finger tips trying to squeeze capping nails in there

i don,t use capping(total rubbish afaik) i prefer oval of the correct size,
or even better hip with an efa at the box end,. i mark the chase with a marker-pen then use a grinder to cut an upright chase
a thin disc in a grinder reduces dust, the box can be marked out in the same way and cut the same way

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha fruity

Ayjay that's what i like to do too. (And i prefer capping but i digress! - as hot a potato as saying 'do you prefer 3 plate, feed and neutral in switch or JB!!!') What diameter grinder you got? Personal question i know haha!

Ed

I prefer bashing it all out myself as I can get the job done quicker, but that's just me.

I prefer bashing it all out myself as I can get the job done quicker, but that's just me.

As with everything health and safety should be paramount and in this situation I couldn't stress the importance of goggles enough, the last thing you want whilst bashing away is to get any in your eye, maybe a full face mask may be of benefit if you are new to it or not done it for a while....

I simply meant that chasing with a hammer and chesiel may take a bit more time, but it keeps dust (and cleaning up time) to nowt. Any double entredre is soley of your own making.

Ok, i'm asking how deep is the case with a 115mm (4.5 inch) inch and how deep with a 230mm. Thanks

Why not measure the distance from the periphary of the cutting disc to the periphary of the disc mounting flange with your ruler or tape measure?

That will tell you the maximum depth it is theoretically possible to cut - assuming the guard doesn't get in the way - but don't forget this dimension will reduce constantly as the disc wears down. - unless you're using diamond discs of course.

Why not measure the distance from the periphary of the cutting disc to the periphary of the disc mounting flange with your ruler or tape measure?

That will tell you the maximum depth it is theoretically possible to cut - assuming the guard doesn't get in the way - but don't forget this dimension will reduce constantly as the disc wears down. - unless you're using diamond discs of course.
How do I translate this data to my hammer?

If you buy big you can do shallower chases if required but small wont do deeper if required.
Personally I would go big, but you will then find you can't get it in some of the places you want
you will end up buying...... Both!

caus that wont tell you the max. depth.....but measuring from the periphary to the GEARBOX CASING will....

Reply to Cos we're living in a world of fools.....and i really need to know.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net