Discuss criticism of an installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dragonspark

hello fellow sparks
i was hoping that there would be another electrician using these forums who could help me in handling a situation that i will describe below.
I am a self employed sparky with my two sons working as apprentices, over the last twelve months i have worked very hard to obtain new clients, i try to keep away from domestic work, and i have no intention of taking part p, i am far more at home working in industrial premises and on machinery.
While not deliberately attempting to snatch work away from another contractor, i have sent hundreds of letters out to prospective customers, one of whom, a joinery manufacturer, asked for a quotation to disconnect 30 machines from their old premises and relocate at a new premises.
Upon disconnecting at the old premises i found that there were multiple machines fed from one circuit breaker, in one case there were five three phase machines fed from one circuit breaker, in some cases earth rings were not fitted and in all cases there was no earth link from the earth ring to earth terminal in the distribution board, the client was aware that they could not use certain machines whilst others were working.
The client has been using an electrician for years, there are two directors of the joinery who are quite happy with him but a manager who is not.
We completed the machine move in time and machine downtime was minimal, i have been back on a couple of occaisions for breakdown cover which proved to be starter or isolator breakdown on the machines themselves, i did not charge for this, we completed the move in may this year.
last week the manager phoned me up asking to see me, i immediately attended whereupon i was given a copy of a letter from the other contractor with three pages of "faults" that he claims we are guilty of, it also claims that if health and safety were to visit the premises they would shut them down, closer inspection of the "faults" mostly revolve around socket outlets not being rcd protected, i am aware that in industrial premises where rcd can cause nuisance tripping they can be omitted so we did, the other contractor also claims we have mixed neutrals with earths, work untidy, left holes in distribution bards, and have not put identification on old red/yellow/blue phases in an old distribution board, as far as i can tell that is our only crime, the contractor is using words that can only be described as scare mongering.
This contractor in four years has never issued a completion certificate or minor works certificate, i am sure he has not attended a 17th regs course, as described earlier he has fed multiple machines from one supply, has never fitted earth links, and has not used new colour identification himself.
I do not wish to get as petty as himself, but our standard of work has basically shown up his work, he is now attempting to scare the client by using the regulations and blind them with science.
what can be done in situations like this, i am confident enough that our work is of a higher standard than the criticiser, however the client is worried.
any suggestions please
many thanks

I don't work in industrial or commercial but I would say the answer would be call their bluff. Ask them to invite the officials and whats the worst that can happen? they'll get you to put it right if any wrong. At least your being straight, honest and showing willing to do the right thing.

Sounds like a my mate said its not right so we are not paying kind of situation.

I'm sure there are plenty of guys on here that can be more of a help than me too best regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
i do a bit of installation/maintenance in schools -have to be careful reporting howlers etc.

as the other guy may 'come back over the top' with a complaint about my work

you need to be certain when omitting rcd protection anyhow

if you have a list of known defects then just sort them .
from what you describe its not a big deal.
few blank bushes ,sleeving and a possible rcbo or 2 just do it.
don't get drawn into a ******* contest there will be no winners.
classic sour grapes cos ya nicked "HIS" work.

if you have a list of known defects then just sort them .
from what you describe its not a big deal.
few blank bushes ,sleeving and a possible rcbo or 2 just do it.
don't get drawn into a ******* contest there will be no winners.
classic sour grapes cos ya nicked "HIS" work.

Couldn't agree more

It's not worth giving opinions especially where there are senior management that have loyalties with the other contractors as this is always the result a slanging match

Only give opinion in the form of pir's and report any dangerous problems and leave it at that. How often have we all been around other trades while they tell us how bad their competitors are knowing full well that the feeling was probably mutual. Modify your installation to comply with all regs and install Rcbo' as there is no need to omit due to nuisance tripping. Anything else tell em where to go and don't be afraid to involve your scheme provider if you have nothing to hide at the end of the day that's what you pay your money for.

One problem that must be considered is if the management have a loyalty to this 'contractor' its probably due to inducements received from him to them!!!!!the manager with no loyalty to him would probably not have received anything so is not losing anything...one reason why I would never take 'gifts' etc from contractors!!! I would consider doing a full PIR at a reduced cost as a show of good faith to keep the business and prove the **** Stirrer wrong. Sort out any recommendations at an agreed cost and start again with a clean slate!!!

I think we could all nit pick each others jobs and list petty issues if we wanted too this guy sounds like a bad loser. If he can produce three pages of faults which by your comments are minor and some are not even faults then I wonder how perfect he is given what you have found with his previous work

With regard to the lack of RCD protection did the old premises have it, if it didn't ask him why he never flagged it as a problem there. This does not make it right that you have not fitted RCD's and I would suggest a proper risk assessment is carried out. If it is a workshop enviroment then I would have thought that 110v equipment would be used if there are any trailing leads, in the office if the cables are flush in the walls then that would need an RCD

It is not clear if you only wired the machines or did you alter other circuits that would need to be brought up to 17th ed regs requirements

To be honest fix the problems and walk away with your head high from what you are saying it won't cost much

Last edited:
hiya
thanks for reply, i am having a meeting tommorow with the directors at the workshops, i have already faxed them a simplified electrical contractors association downloadable explanation regarding rcd,s in an industrial and commercial environment, this quite clear, which i did remeber from attending the 17th regs course that, rcd,s can be omitted, not only this there is a skilled workforce, so i am quite confident that the six new double sockets we wired without rcd protection are within the regs.
Because of the language the other contractor is using, the directors and possibly workforce are worried that our wiring is sub standard which may possibly prevent any further work being given to ourselves, which of course i believe is the driving factor.
I am confident that our work is of a far higher standard than the other contractor, however as always is the case, non electricians panic about electricity, it is something they do not understand and hence any detrimental comments are taken on board, at least i am being given the opportunity to return to the premises and hopefully put their mind at rest, i can only hope the seeds of doubt implanted by the old bugger do not get chance to germinate.
interestingly, while we were working on the job, this other contractor who must by now be approaching the end of his working life, was also on site, fitting new light fittings, working alone he was struggling with a scaffolding so we assisted him, then i watched him trying to climb the scaffolding while clutching a low bay fitting, i politely suggested to him that we tied a singles cable to the top of scaffolding and raised the fittings up like that, which he then employed, i can safely say the hand of friendship then offered will not be extended again.
thanks mate

as long as your work was safe and to regs,cant see a problem,but if he lies about your work which then stops you either getting more work from this firm or others (as lies always seem to spread quicker than the truth) then id sue or threaten to sue him for slander.a quick solicitors letter should do the trick..or tell the auld git to watch what he's saying or youll string him up from the scaffold with a bit of t&e;)

Classic case of nose put out of joint and trying to get one over.

Do you belong to a scheme of any description NIC, ECA???

Offer to involve them if you are that confident, this would dispell any doubts on your competancy.

Reply to criticism of an installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net