Discuss Critique my Smart Meter Install Procedure in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mikegh

Esteemed
Reaction score
Think I have the job they'll probably ask what I consider the correct procedure
Biggest variable seems to me the condition of the installation that you're re-energizing, would there be a standard for this ?

Check Condition of Meter Cabinet

Check Basic Condition of installation- Polarity ,EFLI at a a 13 amp outlet, check installation VD isn't excessive, and no major safety issues at Main Board(overheating etc.)

Shut down Customers Equipment

Switch off Main Incommer ,fit lock off/warnings

Setup Safe Working Area at Meter Cabinet

Remove Cut-Out ,Prove Dead ,Swop Meter

Check Connections,wiggle and retighten, visual and replace Cut-out

Check polarity and EFLI at incommer (Circa 0.35 for TN-C-S)

Energise installation and check polarity and compare EFLI at same 13a outlet

fit seals at cabinet

(Misc: avoid tripping Rcds, may become more sensitive and get call back)

Does this help? A customer showed me this today.
It was a perfect result as tails were 10mm T+E and I wanted to fit a new board. For once the smart meter installer did a great job!
1625609377378.jpeg

That all seems reasonable - though each company may have their own procedure which they should (hopefully) train you in.

The other specific thing that might be in there is to assess older fuse heads for possibility of asbestos being present - or being so old/brittle/damaged that disturbing it might cause damage. Presumably meter installers have some faster access to the DNO than just 105.

The last smart meter installer I witnessed do their job used a non contact tester for polarity, and a plug in tester at the nearest socket to get 3 lights (which he videoed on his tablet).

Result there! Pretty sure none of them around here would be that considerate...
Yeah, I almost thought it was Christmas.
My only minor complaint was they they left the main earth, gas and water bonding all connected at the cut-out and completely ignored the nice shiny MET I'd left as a hint! Can't have everything I suppose....

Does this help? A customer showed me this today.
It was a perfect result as tails were 10mm T+E and I wanted to fit a new board. For once the smart meter installer did a great job!
View attachment 87455
Are those recommendations from the meter installer

That was a line I omitted

If the smart meter installer observes issues the information will have to be forwarded to the customer or whatever, don't know the process there

Knew it would a part of the overall procedure

That all seems reasonable - though each company may have their own procedure which they should (hopefully) train you in.

The other specific thing that might be in there is to assess older fuse heads for possibility of asbestos being present - or being so old/brittle/damaged that disturbing it might cause damage. Presumably meter installers have some faster access to the DNO than just 105.

The last smart meter installer I witnessed do their job used a non contact tester for polarity, and a plug in tester at the nearest socket to get 3 lights (which he videoed on his tablet).
I'm in the process of hopefully getting a job

I presume one of the major questions they ask is what do I think is the procedure

Yeah, I almost thought it was Christmas.
My only minor complaint was they they left the main earth, gas and water bonding all connected at the cut-out and completely ignored the nice shiny MET I'd left as a hint! Can't have everything I suppose....
Here UKPN now put the earth into it's own single pole connector - they won't connect to an earth bar....that way they know they did it apparently (and can presumably be sure of the quality of screw terminals etc....)

Nothing wrong with the non contact as part of polarity checking ,I do it,but I'd be using it in conjunction with an approved tester not a gadget

sorry misreading that he's using the gadget to prove something and upload

Lol what do you prove with those things

Last edited:
Here UKPN now put the earth into it's own single pole connector - they won't connect to an earth bar....that way they know they did it apparently (and can presumably be sure of the quality of screw terminals etc....)
I forget but their connector may have hex screws too - Thinking back I'm not sure they did it on the last one so maybe it was a fad, or just not company wide - or they forgot to put one on the van....

Saw an installer doing this online as well
Checking the fuse heads

I sort of figured that

Do you know what that is lol

That is the smart meter co covering their arses
Definitely, but I'd much rather they did that than leave some of the stuff I've seen with a nice dandy smart meter installed (right in my way usually...)...

Smart meter install is maybe the one time in the last 10 years that anyone will have been to many properties, so it should have been an opportunity to gather information on the state of installed systems and what needs to be upgraded...

Though according to the DNO emergency response team that came to one of my client's flats at 4am, there is currently a 3 year backlog of replacements in the local area....

Reply to Critique my Smart Meter Install Procedure in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net