Discuss CU under wooden stairs, Loft conversation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi.
I was asked to work on a loft conversion and a full refurbishment of a 5 bed house.
The contractor said that as he is doing a loft conversion so it's defined as a new build.(is he correct?)
The income tail and meter are under wooden stairs which will be the main escape route.
As far as I can find on the iet website and my books I don't have to move the meter somewhere else and if I install a non combustible DB and install ventilation and a smoke detector that is sufficient by the law.
Is that the case or do I need to call dno to change the income location?

What he means is that building regs will be turning up.
By the way he’ll want smoke alarms on each floor and possibly kitchen depending on his mood.
Hi , thanks for your reply.
Of course we will have them all around.
The only reason I said it is that I ref on the IET forum a recommendation to add a smoke alarm and ventilation to CU under wooden stairs

New metal consumer unit and new mains smoke alarms and that should be you covered

oh and all the usual guff like extract fans in all bathrooms / ensuites

Not sure. Just checking with the contractor. But you made me curious as to why is that relevant
Have a read of this thread;

Have a read of this thread;

Top man thank you

Reply to CU under wooden stairs, Loft conversation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi. We live in an older house and we are doing a loft conversion. We do not have an SPD on the connection to the grid and the builder's...
Replies
Views
Hello, need some advice here if possible. Went to quote for lighting rewire at house client has recently moved into, He says next year or two that...
Replies
Views
Hi My 4 bed 2 storey house was extended 2 years ago and completely re-wired, but I am having to upgrade the insulation and board out the loft...
Replies
Views
Hi all, as most people will be aware the building regulations on fire protection for loft conversions are pretty strict. The situation I have on a...
Replies
Views
Hi, needed an EICR for my house. An electrician has issued me with an unsatisfactory certificate. He's invoiced me for doing the survey but obvs...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock