Discuss Customer not paying, feel like I’m getting the run around in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

She doesn't want to bore you why she has not paid up???? only reason she has not had access to her account is that the bank or a court order has frozen her assets, there may be a sequestering order on her account by another client she has not paid.
That was my worry, but she is a sole trader not Ltd so therefor I should get my money if above is has happened right?

Cheers

@loz2754 is right, you need to be seen to be being professional, and it actually harms your reputation if you engage in underhand methods to coerce payment. If I saw someone posting accusations online the poster would lose my respect instantly.
You’re right me too, it’s just annoying. But I agree sinking down a level would be unprofessional and damage reputation. I will be following the proper procedure to claim monies back.

Thanks for the advice

That was my worry, but she is a sole trader not Ltd so therefor I should get my money if above is has happened right?

Cheers
Not if she is declared bankrupt, any court official who may be appointed to discharge her affairs will proportion any payout to those debtors on her account, if by the time it comes to you it may be as little as 2% of your invoice value.

Update: called and text yesterday as one final nudge before sending my letter before action. Her reply “sorry I haven’t forgot, I don’t want to bore you but we haven’t had access to our accounts since Monday. Text me tomorrow (today) at 11am”. So I will text today at 11am if any more rubbish follows the email/letter before action is ready to be sent at 11:01”

Cheers everyone
You sound like you have been staying (outwardly) calm and professional towards her, which is definitely the right way to go if you want to increase your chances of getting paid. In most cases like this the person does pay in the end, they are usually just absolutely rubbish at organising their own affairs and have loads of other stuff going on in their lives. Of course, there is the one in a thousand who is not going to pay and court is required.

After about 30 days of non-payment I usually explain that I am a small business, just myself and that late payments have a huge impact as I am unable to pay my own bills on time. Play on the heart strings a little, professionally.

Don't get put off being self employed @Sookme . It's great! I have had perhaps only 3 customers over my 8 year self employed period that have stalled paying for longer than 30 days. Even they have paid in the end. You have just been unlucky that you have had this right at the beginning.

Definitely have all quotes written down, plus send all changes to a quote by email so there is a paper trail.

Let us know the outcome in an hour 😀
She sounds pretty chaotic so I bet she doesn't pay by 11am, but I bet you get paid later in the day of over the next few days. We should start a poll 😁

If she pays up at the point of court action you send her another invoice for the fee she forced you to pay and interest on the monies for the time period she did not pay.
You sound like you have been staying (outwardly) calm and professional towards her, which is definitely the right way to go if you want to increase your chances of getting paid. In most cases like this the person does pay in the end, they are usually just absolutely rubbish at organising their own affairs and have loads of other stuff going on in their lives. Of course, there is the one in a thousand who is not going to pay and court is required.

After about 30 days of non-payment I usually explain that I am a small business, just myself and that late payments have a huge impact as I am unable to pay my own bills on time. Play on the heart strings a little, professionally.

Don't get put off being self employed @Sookme . It's great! I have had perhaps only 3 customers over my 8 year self employed period that have stalled paying for longer than 30 days. Even they have paid in the end. You have just been unlucky that you have had this right at the beginning.

Definitely have all quotes written down, plus send all changes to a quote by email so there is a paper trail.

Let us know the outcome in an hour 😀
She sounds pretty chaotic so I bet she doesn't pay by 11am, but I bet you get paid later in the day of over the next few days. We should start a poll 😁
I can already see the massive upside of being self employed, always knew late or non paying customers would be the biggest struggle! It hasn’t got me down to much, just learnt in the future to maybe prepare a signed estimate and get more down in writing.

I notice you’re from Gloucestershire, me too. I wonder if it’s the same late paying customer :D

I’ll keep you updated, she seems a very hectic person and am around the 28 day mark but invoice stated payment on receipt. I didn’t bother her for the first 14 day. But day 14,21 and now 28 I think is fair to send some gentle reminders. I’ll wait for her response today and send a polite final demand letter/email if unpaid. I for sure won’t be dealing with her again in a hurry, all customers have been great so far paying on completion of work off there own back. I guess there’s always one though!

Cheers

I can already see the massive upside of being self employed, always knew late or non paying customers would be the biggest struggle! It hasn’t got me down to much, just learnt in the future to maybe prepare a signed estimate and get more down in writing.

I notice you’re from Gloucestershire, me too. I wonder if it’s the same late paying customer :D

I’ll keep you updated, she seems a very hectic person and am around the 28 day mark but invoice stated payment on receipt. I didn’t bother her for the first 14 day. But day 14,21 and now 28 I think is fair to send some gentle reminders. I’ll wait for her response today and send a polite final demand letter/email if unpaid. I for sure won’t be dealing with her again in a hurry, all customers have been great so far paying on completion of work off there own back. I guess there’s always one though!

Cheers
Sounds like you're dealing with it perfectly sookme.

I have left my dodgy customers in my phone and have added "POOR PAY" next to their names so that I know not to quote for them again. Even that feels good, as we can choose who we work for because we have more control over our lives being self employed.

Whereabouts are you in Glos? I'm Stroud/Stonehouse area.

It’s a very good point. Did you go through MCOL? I will give 7 days notice today if unpaid, after 7 days I will register my claim.

Is it a straightforward procedure? I’ve asked if there’s any issues which she has replied no, I have conversations of the rate agreed in writing and also her agreeing to pay 4/5 times and confirming there’s no issues.

My worry is I will register the claim, pay the fee and then when the court letter arrives she will pay, leaving me out of pocket by the application fee?

Cheers for the advice.
Yes I used MCOL. It's fairly straightforward. Read all the help information first.
If she pays up before going to court, I suggest that you inform her that you're continuing the claim in order to recover your fees, and ask her to pay the fees before it gets that far.
Good luck. And don't ever work for her again.

Sounds like you're dealing with it perfectly sookme.

I have left my dodgy customers in my phone and have added "POOR PAY" next to their names so that I know not to quote for them again. Even that feels good, as we can choose who we work for because we have more control over our lives being self employed.

Whereabouts are you in Glos? I'm Stroud/Stonehouse area.
Good idea! Love the amount of control I’ve got back since being self employed.

Nice, I’m Wye Valley/forest of dean border.

Reply to Customer not paying, feel like I’m getting the run around in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net