Discuss D Cell batteries question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lien1454

Hi,

I hope this is the right place or even forum to get the answer to this.

If an electrical product would normally accept 6 x D (LR20) batteries.
And I wanted to extend the time that the unit went before needed to have it's batteries replaced.
Would adding another 6 batteries to the existing 6 (total of 12 D type) work? Or would that put the voltage/current out of spec causing damage?

My aim is to make a stereo system last for longer so I wanted to get a larger battery bank and add 12 batteries in total.
So my question is around if the total of 12 batteries is going to keep the same voltage and just increase the last-ability before the batteries need to be replaced or recharged?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum :)

This takes me back to middle school physics lol ... I'm sure one of our members will post how to configure the batteries to do as you require, a diagram would be the best way to show you, I'm heading to the boozer for a cooling pint :)

Assuming the existing six are just a series string + to - from one end to the other without any taps in the middle, all you would need to do is connect the extra six in series likewise, and then connect the + and - ends of the new string in parallel with the first.

Although, you might get more useful mileage with something like a rechargeable 12V alarm battery and a regulator to drop the 12V to 9V. Does the unit have a DC input connector?

As above if you wire the batteries in series you will put 18 volts through your stereo not 9 Volts which will probley kill your radio , you need to wire to sets of six in series so you up the power not the voltage you could use 2 of these conecting both positve cable to th positive connection of your radio and the 2 negative cables to the negative connection on the radio https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=6...=EacwV7yuKozAgAbKoKm4AQ#imgrc=DRls5RZJdisAnM:

Assuming the existing six are just a series string + to - from one end to the other without any taps in the middle, all you would need to do is connect the extra six in series likewise, and then connect the + and - ends of the new string in parallel with the first.

Although, you might get more useful mileage with something like a rechargeable 12V alarm battery and a regulator to drop the 12V to 9V. Does the unit have a DC input connector?

Hi,

Yes it does have a DC input. The power adapter for it is rated at 18.0V / 3.6A output.

As above if you wire the batteries in series you will put 18 volts through your stereo not 9 Volts which will probley kill your radio , you need to wire to sets of six in series so you up the power not the voltage you could use 2 of these conecting both positve cable to th positive connection of your radio and the 2 negative cables to the negative connection on the radio https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=6...=EacwV7yuKozAgAbKoKm4AQ#imgrc=DRls5RZJdisAnM:

Hi,

So getting 2 x battery banks that will house 6 D type batteries each and wiring them up so + of bank one wires to + of bank two and same for - then wiring + and - to the battery + and - would still give the correct input voltage correct?

6 D batteries cannot produce more than 9 Volts. your 18V power adaptor will most likely have it's output regulated in the radio.

Does the solution have to be Heath Robinson, or could you use the same off the peg solution which everyone else uses for the same application?
Could you use a stereo with larger batteries, such as a jobsite radio, or use an alternative power source such as a generator, PV, or even mains?
What exactly is it you're trying to do?

Hi,

So getting 2 x battery banks that will house 6 D type batteries each and wiring them up so + of bank one wires to + of bank two and same for - then wiring + and - to the battery + and - would still give the correct input voltage correct?
Yes but it sounds a bit if a bodge and you could still start a fire if not done safely you be be better getting new radio or get rechargable batterys

When i had this problem,i extended my listening pleasure,by powering my wax-cylinder with a large grandfather clock long-case weight system...

youse guys. i'm now going into the garden to plant some germaniums.

Lucien,if anybody had a specific test instrument,designed to give an accurate reading for that...it would be you :smug2:

Reply to D Cell batteries question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net