Discuss Daisy chaining extension cables? Current leaking to earth? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

linuxthefish

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I only have one socket to work with and adding others is not an option. Can I safely use an 1 socket 10 meter extension lead, with a 8 socket extension on the end? On the 8 socket extension i have a 6 socket extension lead (with another 1 socket extension) and and a 4 socket extension load. How many extension leads can I add before the 30mA RCD trips? Overloading should not be a problem, I have a 10A fuse in the 8 socket extension.

WALL SOCKET > 10 meter 1 socket extension lead > 8 socket extension > 4 socket extension + 6 socket extension cable (with 1 socket extension attached).

All that's plugged in is IT stuff, few laptops, audio amplifier, projector, fan, 2 40w lights, 3 monitors and a toaster sometimes.

If this is for real and you have no other methods I suggest you look into, say a single 12 way adapter and get someone to put a longer flex on it for you, that way you only have one.

And don't plug a toaster into it with everything else on!

tbh, I had to read that a few times to make sense of it, but it really is a far from ideal setup. I appreciate there may only be 1 socket, but why no at least have it changed for a double? The setup you propose is a huge fire risk, and as mentioned by Biff, the fire hazard is well documented.

This is an electricians' forum so I will give you an electrician's answer:
Instead of running extension leads everywhere you should have the circuit altered to provide adequate sockets on the final circuit.
Never mind 'would it work?', 'is it legal' or 'can I do it?', having enough permanent sockets is the way to go.

... That's if it was even a serious question to begin with - a load of IT gear... and a toaster sometimes!?

Could be a windup!
Maybe he's found a socket thats fed from next door

Nope...

If this is for real and you have no other methods I suggest you look into, say a single 12 way adapter and get someone to put a longer flex on it for you, that way you only have one.

And don't plug a toaster into it with everything else on!

The largest I can find is a 10 way, and even that's expensive.

Why are you asking about the RCD tripping anyway?

"Interruption of Service" fines...

Get a power distribution unit and do not use the toaster!

Power Distribution Unit? I thought they were just bigger and more expensive extension cables...

Power Distribution Unit? I thought they were just bigger and more expensive extension cables...
Power distribution units can come with more socket outlets and are designed (to some extent) for the job you describe (supplying multiple items of low draw IT equipment), they are more robust than multi gang extensions and would avoid the requirement for lots of plug and socket connections which increase the chance of high resistance problems and failures.

However the best idea is to wire it properly.

Reply to Daisy chaining extension cables? Current leaking to earth? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net