Discuss Dangerous conditions found during CU change. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If changing the Cu and you complete a zs test on say a radial circuit that you have connected into the Cu, it turns out that there is no cpc present at the point of test, surely it can’t be suggested that you just connect the circuit anyway and leave a comment on the EIC?
The comments box is for non compliance’s to be noted that do not give rise to potential danger and immediate danger.

Regs wise I think you are correct teletrix. You shouldn't leave an installation with a potentially dangerous situation after a cu change,

however I think Essex is also correct. I cannot force people to get work done they don't want or cannot afford done.

At the end of the day a new up to date residual current protected board is going to make the whole installation safer under fault conditions that it was before. So in court you can explain that to a judge if nessissary and show your notes on the eir (comments on existing installation).
The potentially dangerous situation is going to be there if you do the work or don't. You haven't made it worst, in fact you've made it safer and made the customer aware.

If changing the Cu and you complete a zs test on say a radial circuit that you have connected into the Cu, it turns out that there is no cpc present at the point of test, surely it can’t be suggested that you just connect the circuit anyway and leave a comment on the EIC?
The comments box is for non compliance’s to be noted that do not give rise to potential danger and immediate danger.

There are two boxes. One for non-conformances and one for comments on the existing installation.

There are two boxes. One for non-conformances and one for comments on the existing installation.
No, one is for comments on the existing installation and one is for departures which if you as the installer have departed from bs7671 then you must record this on the EIC

Going back to the debate
A departure needs to comply with regulations 120.3 , 133.1.3 and 133.5 where as comments on the existing installation in the case of additions or alterations are regulation 644.1.2 ( 18th BBB)
Two completely different things.
Note 644.1.2 says any defect that is revealed during inspection and testing shall be corrected before the certificate is issue during alterations and additions

Going back to the debate
A departure needs to comply with regulations 120.3 , 133.1.3 and 133.5 where as comments on the existing installation in the case of additions or alterations are regulation 644.1.2 ( 18th BBB)
Two completely different things.
Note 644.1.2 says any defect that is revealed during inspection and testing shall be corrected before the certificate is issued after alterations or additional works and considering a Cu change is an alteration that requires certification, then it would fall into this regulation
See regulation 644 in general

Last edited:
You have followed the Regs. The distribution board replacement is what you have done. You aren't responsible for the entire installation.

I was meaning 132.16
No alteration shall be carried out unless it has been ascertained that the rating and condition of any existing equipment will be adequate for the altered circumstances.

I take existing equipment to encompass final circuits and their condition in relation to safety. I wouldn't ignore the other part of that reg (not quoted) regarding earthing and bonding on a DB change so don't see that I can ignore the quoted part.

I also take note of the EAWR....

Regulation 4
(1) All systems shall at all times be of such construction as to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, danger.
(2) As may be necessary to prevent danger, all systems shall be maintained so as to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, such danger.

Note 644.1.2 says any defect that is revealed during inspection and testing shall be corrected before the certificate is issue during alterations and additions
Your certificate does not cover the existing installation, however. Your certificate should very clearly state that it is in respect of the replacement of the distribution board only. Disconnection times obviously need to be verified as part of this (i.e. Zs testing) - this doesn't mean that you have to tear apart existing circuits.

I've found circuits with the sheath not entering enclosures - therefore basic insulation is exposed. This is clearly a C2 defect, however it does not justify me refusing to re-energise the circuit. I simply need to make them aware of the issues, and what they do then is their own business. Obviously if there were exposed live parts or an immediate fire risk (i.e. a C1 issue) then I would not energise it in the interests of safety without addressing that (at least with a sticking plaster).

Your certificate does not cover the existing installation, however. Your certificate should very clearly state that it is in respect of the replacement of the distribution board only. Disconnection times obviously need to be verified as part of this (i.e. Zs testing) - this doesn't mean that you have to tear apart existing circuits.

I've found circuits with the sheath not entering enclosures - therefore basic insulation is exposed. This is clearly a C2 defect, however it does not justify me refusing to re-energise the circuit. I simply need to make them aware of the issues, and what they do then is their own business. Obviously if there were exposed live parts or an immediate fire risk (i.e. a C1 issue) then I would not energise it in the interests of safety without addressing that (at least with a sticking plaster).
I stand by what I said.
If I did a pre test on say a water heater circuit and found that the cpc was not present due to say a breakage then I would not be energising that circuit

Reply to Dangerous conditions found during CU change. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net