Discuss Didnt think id see this in a report. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Darkwood

Staff member
Mod
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Just been handed a PIR done on a local factory for pricing of remedials, Remedial item no'9 - DB2 prospective fault current too high.
Now having 160amp BS88(2) and a ELI of 0.14 which is well within acceptable levels - im totally scratching my head. To further this hes put for above item in his pricing that to improve external loop impedance an additional 16mm earth will need to be run with the 70mm-4core armoured. So as i clock this guys attempt to understand ELI -He thinks PSCC is too high so to rectify it hes adding additional earthing to lower impedance values which eeeerrrrmmm! will make it HIGHER!
The front end 160amp fuses are 80Ka capacity so again well above the 2.8ka hes measured. Have i hit that age where ive gone stupid here or what?:90:

Lastly this is on official NICEIC cert so im assuming hes passed his exams on self test.... understanding the basics tends to be a good start when testing me thinks.

Maybe he just likes trying to get his ELI into single figures.
I don't suppose this is the only trade with more than it's fair share of muppets working.

Same guy condemned a dist' board for been disconnected not in use and requires removal, i checked it out to price and found 3phase supplies chopped off further back but neutral looped from previous board and acting as a borrowed neutral for 5 light fittings, plus a multigang light switch mounted underneath and into said board was still live and using board as a kinda of ducting to get from A to B, isnt it dangerous set ups like this that a PIR should high-light.
Just opening the other dist board and seeing a neutral supply loop in and the out would start ringing bells.

QUOTE Just been handed a PIR done on a local factory for pricing of remedials, Remedial item no'9 - DB2 prospective fault current too high.
Now having 160amp BS88(2) and a ELI of 0.14 which is well within acceptable levels - im totally scratching my head. To further this hes put for above item in his pricing that to improve external loop impedance an additional 16mm earth will need to be run with the 70mm-4core armoured. So as i clock this guys attempt to understand ELI -He thinks PSCC is too high so to rectify it hes adding additional earthing to lower impedance values which eeeerrrrmmm! will make it HIGHER! QUOTE

Whats the ELI got to do with the PFC?....He's not stating the PEFC is too high but the PFC,what value has he given for that?

Last edited by a moderator:
In the report as stated above hes put in remedials no9' DB2 (busbar chamber) prospective fault current too high. Then on his quote for work to be done hes highlighted remedial no' 9 and said this can be rectified by running additional 16mm earth to DB2 to improve external earth loop.

Cert says 160amp bs88-2 fuses for which he says permitted 0.2ohms (i thought it was 0.27ohms)

His reading for he gets is 0.14 well within either permitted.

The point im making is hes getting confused about what is what , the external fault loop cant be too high as the higher the better but it can over-rate fault current capacity of some protective devices where in this case it has a bs88-2 with a 80ka capacity.
The system is a TNCS

But point taken about pfc, pefc and eli reread it and its come across wrong was trying to express his thinking on that part not mine.

Last edited:

Reply to Didnt think id see this in a report. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net