Discuss Difference between Eaton's residential & commercial duplex receptacles? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am having trouble determining the significant differences between Eaton's residential & commercial duplex receptacles:

Model #270W-10-LW (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Eaton-White-15-Amp-Duplex-Outlet-Residential-10-Pack-Outlet/1001438408)
Model #BR15W-10-LW (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Eaton-White-15-Amp-Duplex-Outlet-Commercial-10-Pack-Outlet/1001438142)

What are the significant differences between them? Why are the commercial receptacles more than 3 times more expensive than the residential receptacles?

Most importantly, which type should I use in my house? I need to replace dozens of receptacles in the house I just bought.

Thanks!

The residential ones have push fit connections, the commercial do not. The commercial ones have automatic grounding, the residential do not. Aside from that I would say they are no different in function but @Megawatt will be able to advise better.

I can't answer the question specific to those recepticles but normally anything that's commercial is rated for continuous use so would have internal parts of a higher quality and in the case of the U.S.A may be tested to different standards
I'm in the U.K we don't have differing types of recepticles.

I doubt you'd have any benefit from using them in a residential property.

My apologies up front as not helpful to the OP at all, but I'm just glad we don't use that type of accessory in the UK. They look blimin awful.
Just to add I would prefer screw terminals to push fit where outlets are concerned, as long as it is a clamp type terminal..

Commercial grade receptacles are designed to withstand heavier use without wearing out or breaking. Typically they offer contacts that grip the plug better, plastic parts that are more impact-resistant, more secure wiring terminals and other detail improvements. In a residential environment, they will outlast basic residential types where plugs are often inserted and removed or subjected to high wattage loads, e.g. over the kitchen counter. For outlets that are rarely disturbed and supply only small appliances, such as behind the TV or powering the bedside light, there won't be much advantage to using a commercial grade product.

Put another way, the commercial grade receptacle is what you want a receptacle to be like, the residential grade is the cheapest product they can actually get approved for sale.

One practical difference between those two Eaton products is the wiring terminals. Ignoring the push-in connection ports, which as I mentioned in the other thread are often junk, the residential product takes two side-wire connections for the duplex. If you snap the tabs out to separate the circuits between the two outlets, each accepts only one wire. The commercial product has rising-clamp terminals with two rear-entry points per screw, so a total of four per duplex. Even when separated, each half of the duplex accepts two wires. These connections are secure and not to be confused with low quality push-in back-wiring ports.

I'm just glad we don't use that type of accessory in the UK.

You would have quite a challenge getting 13A plugs into them, for a start :)

There are good and bad points to many different flavours of plugs and sockets, there is more than meets the eye. The contacts in a Hubbell commercial grade receptacle would put most of ours to shame. At least, back in the days when I had to specify and test them. The cheap stuff, I agree, can be very shonky.

I suspect the push fit connections on the residential grade receptacles are for your DIYer who can't use/ doesn't have a suitable screwdriver to hand so we have the push fit terminal which is likely to result in a worse termination that if the "stupid DIYer" managed to find and fathom out how to use the screwdriver.

Reply to Difference between Eaton's residential & commercial duplex receptacles? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net