Discuss dimmable lights wont turn off fully in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
ok let me batter your heads lol

added 4 new dimmable downlights to a room disconnected the ceiling rose and used that as my first downlight then i added to that and so on

question is when i turn off my lights the light still have a small glow.

my light switch has 1 x black in com
1 x black in l1
and the red wire has not been cut and is one complete cable
any ideas

Is it a compatible dimmer (LED), wattage, leading/lagging etc with the lamps/drivers you've got. Are the lamps dimmable?
Are the lights connected properly , polarity, (Including the cpc [earth wire])?
If all ok possibly faulty dimmer module.

Is it a compatible dimmer (LED), wattage, leading/lagging etc with the lamps/drivers you've got. Are the lamps dimmable?
Are the lights connected properly , polarity, (Including the cpc [earth wire])?
If all ok possibly faulty dimmer module.
its not a dimmable switch but the led's are dimmable its a simple on and off switch tried a few switches all the same all i have done is wire what was in the rose to the l e n onthe downlight and the other len is a cable to the next downlight. i thought maybe the black wire that comes from l1 was in the wrong l e n so i switched the l n but the outcome was still the same

Doubt the problem is with the switch then. Are they 230v units (ie integral driver)? Are they all terminated correctly?

If it's an old house the lighting circuit can pick up unwanted "capacitance" if the light circuit cables run near to other power cables. Watch the first 5 minutes of David Slavery's video on nuisance glowing LEDs

I fitted 4 of these in the bathroom on existing wiring and they do exactly that.
Fitted 14 in the kitchen, new wiring, no problem.
Havent got round to trying a snubber yet, or replacing the wiring.

Yea my
I fitted 4 of these in the bathroom on existing wiring and they do exactly that.
Fitted 14 in the kitchen, new wiring, no problem.
Havent got round to trying a snubber yet, or replacing the wiring.
My knowledge on wiring is pritty basic I have an electrician due at mine soon think il.just ask him to have a look I will keep.you posted on what he recommends

my light switch has 1 x black in com
1 x black in l1
and the red wire has not been cut and is one complete cable

This suggests that the supply cable comes via the switch and that switch is in the neutral. Apart from safety implications, switching the neutral could give the effect described due to stray capacitance. How many cables were at the original rose?

Reply to dimmable lights wont turn off fully in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net