Discuss Dimming lights in one room makes lights in another room flicker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Appletree - did the electrician actually use his eyes to study the wiring in the image? I suspect not. If one looks carefully at the two brown wires which are middle top and pass downwards once can see that the insulation on the left of the two has been scraped away revealing a small area of the copper conductor. I think there is similar damage to the right hand brown conductor - and I looks to me as if they may have been touching at these points before the switch plate was moved forward. Both these brown conductors are switched lives. The right hand one goes to L2 and almost certainly the left hand one goes to L2 on the other dimmer.

So, please take another look and take some photos from a different angle to confirm my observations. You will need some brown sleeving to cover the damaged areas. DON'T GO STICKING YOUR FINGERS IN WITHOUT TURNING OFF THE ELECTRICITY FIRST

Last edited:
changing to a normal on,off wont work. We have the same issue where switching off and on a toggle in one room causes a flicker to present itself as you toggle on. random LED's in the adjacent room flicker. this problem wasnt there when the lights were plain ballast 4 bulb lay in fixtures.

they are direct wire, no ballast, led lights. No dimmers ever involved in this.

That's probably on a two way switched circuit?
no, there is only what I just told you. I am an electrician. So I didnt leave out anything obvious.

I have read online some people saying that you cant have two low voltage control units connected within the same junction box, because of induction.

I believe that switches are truthfully still allowing voltage to seep, and while old lights dont see it, an LED can, and this has cause havoc in commercial settings.

one guy said to put a resister wired inline with the switchleg and it will bleed away (peel off, thwart, whatever word you want to use) errand voltage that makes it past the switch.

But thats doing too much as far as I'm concerned, I'd just as soon do away with the stupid controllers all together. They cost too much anyhow.

I'm sure it worked.
But its like, when installing them, if people in the field, have to add things onto the product to assure there is no potential for customer call back, then that product needs to be doing that addition from the factory.
Because knowing that the potential for flickering lights exist, and a customer would see that as "the electrician wired up something crazy"
then one has to explain that its the device, thats just doing too much.

For those that are interested, I should have said Capacitors not Resistors, can't seem to find them on the RS web site at the moment, but "RIFA PMR209" was their reference and are the same width as the inside of a Wago lighting box makes for a very neat installation.

Reply to Dimming lights in one room makes lights in another room flicker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net