Discuss Direct employee tax return in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dru

I am directly employed by a company and have done a tax return for the last 4 years to claim my mileage.

I regularly hear stories about people getting twice as much money back as I do by getting an accountant to do their return rather than doing it themselves like I do.

Is anybody else directly employed and doing their own return and does anybody know of a decent and reliable accountancy firm that can be trusted to not have my pants down?

easiest way is to book all your work mileage for the year and then claim the 45p/mile ( might be more now) that HMRC allow.

It's not the process that is the problem. I'm just interested to know if anybody has been in the same boat and found that by getting accountant to do their return, they received more back

Lots of folk seem to have a tendancy to say they recieved more than others to make them seem superior.

Dont forget that if you get a accountant it will cost you so ypu,cpuld end up more out of pocket if you are only claiming your mileage.

as above. get back an extra £50 and then pay the leech ( sorry, accountant) £100. + VAT. for the expert ( cough) help.

sure if you can do volt drop calcs. and the like, a few add -ups and take-away sums is not too taxing.

Yeah that's my thinking as well. I just can't seem to see how I can get about 1k and nearly all others claim to be getting double

I get paid travel time and expenses. For example this week I have been paid £96.24 and travelled a total of 620 miles. I'm not sure how it works out per mile.

I claim 40p per mile for the first 10k
25p per mile after that

I also tell HMRC my accumulative figure for expenses I've been paid over the year which is usually around the £5k mark

i usually then get around £1k-1.5k

that sound pretty right to you or am I going wrong somewhere which is costing me money?

You can claim 45p per mile for first 10,000. So you are already £500 short there. But you also must have paid any tax you are claiming back and also deduct anything that your employer has given youmas a tax free allowance for mileage on your claim.

I get paid travel time and expenses. For example this week I have been paid £96.24 and travelled a total of 620 miles. I'm not sure how it works out per mile.

Are you being paid per mile or are you receiving travelling time and expenses as an agreed sum as it is not very clear. The figures you quote only give you 15.5p/mile so it sounds to me like you are being short changed by your employer. If you are paid travelling time this will be taxable

Reply to Direct employee tax return in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net