Discuss Distributor Loyalty in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SunbeamSolar

Hey guys.

First time thread start on here but cant stop myself. I'm just boiling with rage.

As with most installers, November was a manic time. We all had our stresses. We as a company got through the worst unscathed, had all our installs done and dusted for the 3rd December and sat back and enjoyed a longish holiday over christmas. No thanks to our main distributor.
Whats got me so riled is that the distributor that we mostly use for panels has just sent us a price list for 2012. Before the FiT announcement the premium panels that we fitted were selling for £1.38 plus vat. During the panic they upped the price to £1.58 + vat smuggly telling me it was market conditions. Now I've just been sent their 2012 pricelist and now they're £1.03. What the hell!!!!!

They are one of the few that are the authorised distributors of these panels and I really dont want to stop installing them as the panels are superb. But the idea of giving them a further single penny after holding me to ransom prior to christmas makes me want to vomit.

#end of rant

Plenty of decent panels out there at substantially better prices than £1.03. Stuff 'em and use someone else. I know I would.

I do. I fit Yingli, ET Solar, Bosch, Sanyo etc etc. As these were mostly unobtainable in the rush (guaranteed delivery dates, times) I was really backed into a corner at the time. I had other issues with mounting sytems but no other distribution company that I dealt with tried to cash-in.

It was an exceptionally difficult time for everyone in the industry at all levels. We took a decision not to increase prices (although we very easily could have) and serviced our existing customers as a priority, helping new customers out where we could. This seemed the fairest way to operate, and helped cement some long term relationships which are invaluable for us in what is a price driven market.

We stock ET Solar SunbeamSolar, and had good supply in the rush! (although there were multiple other challenges that hindered getting deliveries out at normal levels!) I personally would question short term profiteering, especially when your business is reliant on repeat business and good working relationships with those installers who use you regularly. We have had several calls from people looking for different suppliers having felt badly treated when the rush was on last year.

Feel free to give us a call if you would like some more info SunbeamSolar.

Krannich and Segen looked after me well and managed to keep supplies of Bosch, Samsung and Schott coming in, although I had to be a bit flexible on which of those 3 I used. They maintained their pricing and Dave Lopez at Krannich especially was a star. prices were maintained at a stable level.
I did have problems sourcing inverters but they did well to get me most of what I needed, the rest came courtesy of this forum!
My only gripe was when they cut my credit without notice, but we managed to work around that. Krannich also managed to fill all my requirements for mounting kits with the exception of flat roof mounts which we got made up locally.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd ditch any supplier who profiteered like that, unless there were real genuine reasons for the price increase (eg having to ship them in from USA specially due to Europe wide shortage or something).

I'd also send them an email telling them why you're ditching them, so they'll maybe think about it a bit harder next time.

To be fair Moggy there were companies out there that were great. Segen being one, Waxman, Midsummer Solar, CCL and Dynamic Solar. The last really was a gamble as they were on eBay but didn't let me down. I won't put who's cheesed me off just in case they're watching.

lol they are WATCHING!! take my word for it !! well ive only got 1 job to do and client want centro solar (nice kit) bit costly! but all black (everything) 2 weeks to get a price:))))))))))))))) thats Y im not staying in mcs the whole solar pv industry is KILLING ITS SELF!!!!!

lol i was after money back from 1 supplier they didnt want to pay! u come up with who they were! i put (ur not far wrong) i then got email asking me (company) if i was powervan!!! THIS forum is WATCHED !! didnt want to jeperdise my refund!!

Krannich are selling a good range of panels well below £0.90...that's if they have any in stock at the moment. They also looked after me last year and did not increase their prices unlike others...

Is it really going to get that busy again? As I see it we basically did all the customers who wanted to get the system in before the april date and now there are a lot of members of the public with cold feet, A lot of suppliers have run stock levels to barest minimum to avoid having stock which has now dropped in price. The weather doesn't look to be in our favour either compared to November! arghhhhhh!

Reply to Distributor Loyalty in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net