Discuss DIY Forum in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

micknew

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Just read a thread on the DIY section Re Range cooker wiring.
Because he got the answers he wanted he said he would possible do the work himself (of course he will).
Just because its in the DIY section I do not think giving advice to DIYers is justified.
Its crazy telling people how to do our job our work isn't it?
The DIY section was created by admin because of aggro given to DIY posters.
Why the hell do members instruct them, its certain that the work will not get tested.
Plus it does sparks out of work.
Who thinks the DIY section should be scrapped?

So you want the carnage that exisited before to return?

The idea is to try and help them, people on here will advise to get a spark in if the feel the poster is out of there depth. If someone is going to do something regardlless then its on there own terms we cant force anyone to do anything.

When you've got a wee problem with your car or computer or anything at all, we automatically head straight on the net to check it out. It's helped me out a lot over the years with certain things. It's only that the shoe is on the other foot and I completely agree that giving advice away for free is doing sparks out of work. However we currently live in a time of austerity where loads of families up and down the country are toiling for cash and with Christmas round the corner it's understandable people are attempting things themselves. So in short no I don't think it's a good idea

So you want the carnage that exisited before to return?

The idea is to try and help them, people on here will advise to get a spark in if the feel the poster is out of there depth. If someone is going to do something regardlless then its on there own terms we cant force anyone to do anything.
Well I suppose having a DIY section does encourage the DIYer, verbal carnage would be a better option than death by electrocution or fire.

Its been 3 months and the admin have not yet formulated basic advice and links for diyers regarding safe isolation, labc notification, requirements for testing, esc advice etc etc....

Its been 3 months and the admin have not yet formulated basic advice and links for diyers regarding safe isolation, labc notification, requirements for testing, esc advice etc etc....
Surely that sort of stuff is learned by professional sparks during training.
Are we going to train them as well, it gets worse.

Funny how so many have no problem with those not time served worked on a potentially lethal weapon (motor vehicle), something weighing up to 2.5 tonnes, full of toxic, flammable and in other ways hazardous substances.....yet no one whines about "DIYer mechanics".....

one option is just to limit the amount of instruction given to the DIYers as people have been doing in other posts. . Yes im a qualified mechanic but I also do DIY electrics, nothing major though. We can't control what people believe is out of their depth.. I know my limits on electrics, but cars etc no problem !
just remember - people don't have common sense these days . . .

Best thing would be for no one to give practical advice to DIYers.

I'll agree to disagree entirely, that OP isn't capable, however he has been warned and better to be corrected on what he needs, than be given no information and ends up sticking a cooker on a lightswitch and burning the house down....He has been told....if he wants to ignore it, then its his own lookout...some people will either never pay for an electrician or will only do so when they realise they are wholly out of their depth......

The DIY section should only be used for jobs which most would deem "DIY-able", such as "What are these LED bulb thingies, and where can I use them?"

Last edited:

Reply to DIY Forum in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net