Discuss DIY - help! - RCBO consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

Which amendment of the 18th BS7671 required RCDs for protecting lighting circuits (domestic)? I was told it’s amendment 2. Is that correct? Or is it amendment 1?

Thanks

It was definitely in 18th amendment 1.
Why?
An electrician installed a new consumer board in April 2022. They are saying that they didn’t need to protect lighting circuits with RCD’s or RCBO’s. As 19th edition only became current in 27th September 2027 (when 18th was withdrawn).

An electrician installed a new consumer board in April 2022. They are saying that they didn’t need to protect lighting circuits with RCD’s or RCBO’s. As 19th edition only became current in 27th September 2027 (when 18th was withdrawn).
Wrong....get them off your job Now.....i suppose they were the cheapest price

There isn't a 19th edition. The 2nd amendment of the 18th edition was released on 28th March 2022.

I can't understand why anyone would fit a split load board in April 2022 when they could be bringing the installation up to date with surge protection and RCD protection for every circuit.

I think I know the answer, but did they give you an Electrical Installation Certificate?

Wrong....get them off your job Now.....i suppose they were the cheapest price
Thanks, they are off the job. I didn’t mean the 19th edition. Assume that 18th amendment 2 is the latest?

There isn't a 19th edition. The 2nd amendment of the 18th edition was released on 28th March 2022.

I can't understand why anyone would fit a split load board in April 2022 when they could be bringing the installation up to date with surge protection and RCD protection for every circuit.

I think I know the answer, but did they give you an Electrical Installation Certificate?
Thanks Tim, I didn’t receive an electrical certificate. I’m really lost as to what to do and if they are at fault for not putting in a consumer board with RCDs for lighting. Thanks so much. Really stressed.

Thanks Tim, I didn’t receive an electrical certificate. I’m really lost as to what to do and if they are at fault for not putting in a consumer board with RCDs for lighting. Thanks so much. Really stressed.
They are saying that they didn’t need too because the amendment 2 of 18th didn’t come into force until 27th September 2022. So they worked to amendment 1 of 18th version. So didn’t need RCDs lighting.

I assume the person you used isn't in a competent person scheme like NICEIC or NAPIT? By rights they should be if they are changing domestic consumer units as the work should be notified to building control. You should also have a certificate proving they tested it all and it's safe.
They are saying that they didn’t need too because the amendment 2 of 18th didn’t come into force until 27th September 2022. So they worked to amendment 1 of 18th version. So didn’t need RCDs lighting.
The original 18th edition (from Jan 2019) required domestic circuits supplying luminaires to have RCD protection.
It's reg 411.3.4 and it's in the blue book. So this argument doesn't hold water at all.

Here's a web page that was released when the 18th edition first came out that mentions the change.

The problem is that I'm not sure I'd want them to fix the issue anyway from what you've said.
It might be that RCBO's can be fitted for the lighting to avoid changing the whole board. But sometimes this isn't possible or cost effective.
I think you need to get a decent sparks around to have a look at it and give you some advice.

I assume the person you used isn't in a competent person scheme like NICEIC or NAPIT? By rights they should be if they are changing domestic consumer units as the work should be notified to building control. You should also have a certificate proving they tested it all and it's safe.

The original 18th edition (from Jan 2019) required domestic circuits supplying luminaires to have RCD protection.
It's reg 411.3.4 and it's in the blue book. So this argument doesn't hold water at all.

Here's a web page that was released when the 18th edition first came out that mentions the change.

The problem is that I'm not sure I'd want them to fix the issue anyway from what you've said.
It might be that RCBO's can be fitted for the lighting to avoid changing the whole board. But sometimes this isn't possible or cost effective.
I think you need to get a decent sparks around to have a look at it and give you some advice.
Thanks Tim, so helpful. He’s an electrician but semi-retired so fear he’s not up to speed on regs. He doesn’t belong to any organisations. Should he have notified Building Control? We have no completion certificate or record of testing (online or paper). The consumer board is also missing any labels so it’s hard to identify what is what. Assume that labelling of the board is a requirement for issuing any completion certificate or compliance with building regs / control approval? Thanks again Tim, so kind.

Attachments

• 6D1303CC-9A23-435E-95BB-547CE5AA8F2A.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 58
  • BA73F07A-A4FF-4A63-BC10-782DCD4940D2.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 58

Reply to DIY - help! - RCBO consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net