Discuss DIY Question & Where Can I Get...... in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mr.Simple

Hi, I want to install some Extra Low Voltage LED Lightsin my decking and have bought a kit comprising of an indoor / outdoortransformer/PSU and a long wire with external LED lights in mountings. This isa DIY question and should be in the DIY section. However the permissions I haveallow me to post here but not in the DIY section. Very strange!

Now, I understand that if I wanted to install an outside socket this isnotifiable work. However I don't want to do that. I intend installing thetransformer in the kitchen behind a kitchen cabinet (it would have limitedaccess). At this location is a existing single un-switched 13A outlet withenough room to install the plug and transformer. This socket can be"controlled" by an existing switch mounted above the work-surface andis supplied by one of the main power rings within the house (and that isprotected by an RCD).

Now to get to the decking I intend to drill through the kitchen wall and runthe pre-moulded wire along the wall to the decking. To protect thismanufacturers cable I want to run it in black conduit which will also make itlook tidy. Because the house ha cavity filled walls I want to drill a widerhole than is strictly needed (say 23mm) and push piece of conduit through thishole to the outside (the actual diameter of the hole will be matched to theexternal diameter of the conduit).

So the first question is: Can I do this?

The second question is about the conduit. Where the cable comes out of thehouse I would like something like a round terminal box with a single side entrywhich will take the conduit along the house. I wanted a terminal box here tohelp when threading the preformed cable. However, what I would like is a boxthat has a hold in the back that can be pushed onto the conduit coming from thehouse. This would finish with the box being tight against the wall and also abetter seal to the conduit coming through the wall. So are these things madeand if so where can I get one?

Thanks

4" x 4" IP55 adaptable box. drill a 20mm hole in the back for your 20mm conduit, and a 20mm hole in side or bottom for adapter and conduit.

As above but may I add a tip for you or any one else.

When drilling through the wall, have your drill bit at a slight angle downwards towards the outside. This will prevent any water, moistness or condensation gathering on the conduit/cable from running to the internal wall of your home and causing damp. Silicone only lasts for a certain number of years and that hole is going to be there forever.

i'd prefer to drill perfect horizontal or you get the conduit angled into the box. a good seal round the box and away you go.

I should have said "a very slight angle" for conduit, only needs 1 degree and the adapter will still fit.

I agree with Tel again, I'm doing a lot of agreeing today lol. :smile:

Must be a combination of tiredness coupled with beer.

I should have said "a very slight angle" for conduit, only needs 1 degree and the adapter will still fit.

He keeps getting it right though lately, I just can't catch him out LOL

First of all, do it sober.
Since the forum doesn't have a breathalyser to stop anyone posting blotto.
(Which could be a good idea lol) Save some "oh no moments"
Secondly please forgive me if I'm wrong, as you might just have a sticky space bar or keyboard ?
There has been a good few recommendations, I'm only posting as I've had a few swifties as myself and can't now remember the original question ??? Lol
Anyway, Good luck with your install and merry Christmas.
Do it before and. 3 as I think there's going to be an ELV be notifable to building control lol

after you get the conduit through pump some fire sealant or a silicone based caulk around the conduit both insideof the wall and outside before you put your box up
We are required to use fire sealant when going through walls (commercial and industrial)
heres what we use 523fa46c-f61b-49ff-888d-b012eaf84334_1000.jpg
Im sure you have something similar in the UK.

We have the same regs on every type of building structure but in this case there is no need for a fire ratted barrier. This is a domestic house with only one residence, its too small of a hole to require a fire ratted sealant by our regs (i believe) and its a hole going to the exterior of the building.

A very good point though :smile: For the price of £6 ($10 ish) but mainly used for interior use to hold back the spread of fire for a certain amount of time according to the regs and uses for that particular building.

Reply to DIY Question & Where Can I Get...... in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net