Discuss DNO fitted New Incomer etc . How long can we expect for supplier to fit new meter etc . ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

LukeD

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
DNO ripped out antique main incomer/breaker .The guy hated us and himself and everyone else by the end of the job ! . Client going to contact supplier and ask for new meter .Old consumer is beyond dangerous .So whole flat will be rewired etc .I just want to strap in a DP isolator and "garage unit " temp to run lights a 2 x radial sockets . Then rewire with new consumer etc .Not had to wait for a meter before ..so wondering if they are quick ?

DNO ripped out antique main incomer/breaker .The guy hated us and himself and everyone else by the end of the job ! . Client going to contact supplier and ask for new meter .Old consumer is beyond dangerous .So whole flat will be rewired etc .I just want to strap in a DP isolator and "garage unit " temp to run lights a 2 x radial sockets . Then rewire with new consumer etc .Not had to wait for a meter before ..so wondering if they are quick ?
How long is a piece of string.

If there was a working supply to the property before the DNO work, I would expect it to still be working when they left. The same when the meter is changed.
Not a chance in hell..... its really bad . Once the DNO has done their work .we need a new meter and an Isolator . Then I can run a temp supply to enable a FULL rewire. Floors and walls are coming up and down etc

I can understand the tails and installation being behind hope but does this extend to the old meter unit itself?
I guess all DNOs can do things differently....I usually find Scottish Power are willing to move the meter if the supply moves, and they do the notification of a meter move to the energy supplier. They moved an old analogue one for me the other day. It's all the same to them.

I've found the key is having something ready that looks like it's ready to be connected to, hence why I fit an isolator, tails, and henley blocks at a minimum before they turn up. This tends to swing it, for SP at least.

I can understand the tails and installation being behind hope but does this extend to the old meter unit itself?
I guess all DNOs can do things differently....I usually find Scottish Power are willing to move the meter if the supply moves, and they do the notification of a meter move to the energy supplier. They moved an old analogue one for me the other day. It's all the same to them.

I've found the key is having something ready that looks like it's ready to be connected to, hence why I fit an isolator, tails, and henley blocks at a minimum before they turn up. This tends to swing it, for SP at least.
Thats the Plan . New mounting board all ready etc to "ease" the job for him

The meter should have been connected back up by the DNO, so many different suppliers the chances are its not even their equipment to just disconnect.

Was it a smart meter? The DNOs can reconnect but they are not allowed to move smart meters, they are allowed to move standard meters though. A fairly recent rule that they are not very impressed with!

Was it a smart meter? The DNOs can reconnect but they are not allowed to move smart meters, they are allowed to move standard meters though. A fairly recent rule that they are not very impressed with!
Need a specially trained meter mover for that, I suppose! 😉

Last edited:
Its a shambles because the DNO and meter companies wont work together, We reported this but as yet no progress has been made, fire damaged house doesn't have any meter or incomer anymore, just this cable sticking up out of the floor and no-one can tell us why. Is it live, no idea, I told my mate to probe it carefully but he doesn't want to get a face full of melted copper/aluminium.

IMG_3638.jpg

would a non contact voltage detector light up if it was anywhere near that cut end?
It probably would but I don't think he has one, it was only a quick call in to see what we needed to do the job, found this so said we need it sorting before we can get the power back on, it might not be the supply cable but he said he couldn't see anything else inside or outside the house.

If there's some barriers around a hole or signs of fresh tarmac outside then the DNO has disconnected and then chopped the cut out off.
The cutout is probably kept intact for evidence.
I said look for some roadworks or a recently filled in hole outside but he said there was nothing obvious, I've not been to the job yet but I think the fire started in that sort of area so good shout that the cut out has been seized for evidence to prove it didn't start the fire. Maybe the supply was looped from next door or something and its been disconnected from there.

My point was though that this was about 3 weeks ago and as yet no reply from the DNO or meter company about getting the power back on, I think we are first fixing it next week and will need some sort of temp power for batteries etc.

One look and they ran !!! . To isolate for the main 60 amp DP incomer switch I had ready etc to attach the new meter to etc .We went with the building manager to isolate and found this .... Now Ive never seen one .But I do know thy can have a history of not going back on due to the pins moving etc once turned off ?? Also they cannot find the "pin" that should be inserted in order to lift handle and "pull " the breaker " Guess a screw driver could be used ! But as this covers 4 apartments and whilst we can give legal notice to turn off... Some flats are not occupied 24/7 so would not have a clue if any issues .And prefer to turn off most things in order to reduce the instant load . ANYONE touched these monsters before ???????

Attachments

• IMG_0811.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 22

Reply to DNO fitted New Incomer etc . How long can we expect for supplier to fit new meter etc . ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net