Discuss DNO - Geordies and Northeners.. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bigbaddave

Hi fellow Geordies and Northerners, Northern power grid.. How you rate them?

Has the misfortune to needing there services on a number of occasions and to be fair found them hard work..

Now the latest was, I have landed the tender for a lot of work in the area where a requirement is “ No new rods to be installed, where currant earthing is inadequate conversion to PME must be included in the quote” now a lot are takeing the main earth from the water main, and others have actually had their rod concreted over in the garage with no means of access for inspection however getting ok readings with main bonding disconnected ranging from 30 – 60 Oams.. So the majority will need converting, Well especially the water mains.. May be able to get the concreted one’s in a position in which it can be accessible but if not then although present and showing acceptable reading there not accessible.. How many would be happy with this??

Now after speaking to Northern power grid regardless of quantity the price is £156.56 per install.. Has anybody dealt with them. What costs you been quoted?? And is this the going rate?

To be honest i have not had any real major issues with them over the years. I have always been fortunate to have gained the number of a senior engineer then talk electric with him and resolve the matter quicker than the phone receptionists.

Many of the dwellings maybe PME already but not done at cutout. Try enquirey on some of the addresses, you may be in luck. If not would they know if you stuck the odd spike in here and there, and claim it was there all the time. (not what you have to quote for, but old rods wasnt mentioned)

Good luck with the tender Dave.

I had the misfortune to try to get a PME and spent an HOUR talking around in circles with some dozy bint who hadn't a clue what PME is, but insisted on trying to "help" me "resolve the problem".

It finally got to the point where she said: "Well I'm not an electrician" to which I replied: "Yes, I KNOW you're not - that's why I asked you to put me through to somebody else three quarters of an hour ago!!"

From there, I was passed to some dozy youth who was only very slightly more knowledgeable and after haranguing him for a further 20 minutes I was eventually allowed to speak to a bloke who seemed to know the business, but was disappointed when he said: "PME is not available in that area" !!! :32::banghead:

All-in-all, they were a complete waste of time.

[QUOTE]No new rods to be installed, where currant earthing is inadequate conversion to PME must be included in the quote[/QUOTE]

What's all this about?.
You may have guessed by now I'm not a Northerner but this sounds like some form of Northern Cartelism.

I had a chat with one of our local Southern DNO Engineers (NPower) and he said you're village is set up for PME but don't bother - you know what i mean, wink wink.

Ive found them to be ok. They have turned up on time nearly always, the engineers Ive dealt with are pretty decent guys, very helpful.IMO
This may not always be the case though, I may have just been lucky so far..lol

Ti be fair I am unsure how much the guy overseeing the work actually knows about the tender, the main spec has obviously been written by guys in suits that to be fair never see the job and well if they turned up on site wouldn’t come close as fear of getting dust on their £1000 suit.

I think to keep things keen the a common sense approach will be that if I can conceal a rod to not stand out and look new then that will be the way forward. However there are a few especially when they are concreted in the garage It would be impossible to make it look old as the property is block paved all the way round.

And Geordie.. the first time I called them was whilst I was nearly times served (The firm I served with’s method statement and risk assessment insisted we spoke to the DNO) so naive me phones them.. However after speaking the guys they told me that’s just on the method statement.. But that’s another story..

The call when something like this

Me – Hi I need have the supply isolated in order to change a consumer unit
DNO – You need the supply isolated
Me – Yes
DNO – Can you not just flick the switch
ME – Flick the switch.. REALLY.. what switch
DNO – The one on the box with all the switched
ME – You mean the consumer unit I am trying to change
DNO – Yes
ME – Sighhh
DNO – Is that any help
ME – NO!!!! Can I please speaking to someone who can assist on isolating the supply
DNO – I will put you through to that deparment
ME – Thank the lord
DNO – Hello I understand you need the supply isolating
Me – Yes, Can you arrange please
DNO – Are you an Electrician,
ME – I am an apprentice who is working for an electrical firm have been asked to arrange for the supply to be isolated, Once done the company will change the consumer unit
DNO – But we are really busy you know
ME – So what do I do
DNO – But we are really busy
ME – So will I just do myself?
DNO – you cant do that
ME – So your too busy to attend and I cant do myself
DNO – As I say we are really busy
ME – 2 Seconds I will check with Jim, Jim they say there busy.
Jim – Its ok we had the fuse out before you even picked the phone up.. Just wanted you to understand how the supply is isolated in the real world

- - - Updated - - -

Ive found them to be ok. They have turned up on time nearly always, the engineers Ive dealt with are pretty decent guys, very helpful.IMO

Be interesting to see if its a set fee or depends on who i ask...

Sorry you have lost me there.. What you trying to say?? Lol

OOOOPPPPS.. Wrong post

DNO doesn't even enter my head anymore when it comes to a CU change, it's just see ya later fuse.

Past dealings, have always been the standard...once you've got them out they're sorted and get the job done pronto. It's just getting them on site which is the ballache i can't be arsed with anymore lol Bigbaddave...if we all put a pound in for everytime we've had a convo with the DNO like ures when you were serving your time, we'd all be living the playboy lifestyle lol

[QUOTE]No new rods to be installed, where currant earthing is inadequate conversion to PME must be included in the quote

What's all this about?.
You may have guessed by now I'm not a Northerner but this sounds like some form of Northern Cartelism.

I had a chat with one of our local Southern DNO Engineers (NPower) and he said you're village is set up for PME but don't bother - you know what i mean, wink wink.[/QUOTE]

Sorry you have lost me here. what you trying to say? Lol

What's all this about?.

I had a chat with one of our local Southern DNO Engineers (NPower) and he said you're village is set up for PME but don't bother - you know what i mean, wink wink.

Sorry you have lost me here. what you trying to say? Lol[/QUOTE]

Well from what you are saying is that the DNO no longer want to see TT systems and expect all new installations and refurbs to be PME'd which from my experience and several other sparks is not as reliable as the DNO's would have us believe. Even the IET recommend where there's a PME supply it would be wise to provide an additional earth electrode.

DNO doesn't even enter my head anymore when it comes to a CU change, it's just see ya later fuse.

Past dealings, have always been the standard...once you've got them out they're sorted and get the job done pronto. It's just getting them on site which is the ballache i can't be arsed with anymore lol Bigbaddave...if we all put a pound in for everytime we've had a convo with the DNO like ures when you were serving your time, we'd all be living the playboy lifestyle lol

Same as but there are some times when Ive had to get them out.....the last was an old cast iron head, took the front away to reveal an inline fuse bolted either end to the line conductor.....even when the engineer came out to remove it, he told me he couldnt touch it and it needed a new head!! Then he went and I had to call the DNO again to arange a new head, they said 8-10 weeks!!wtf. I explained that I was an electrician and that I was using this cu change job for my assessment next week, they said ok and came out 2 days later.lol

What's the general feeling of pulling the fuse and then uprating the tails from the main fuse to the meter and then from the meter to the new consumer unit?

Is it something that is commonly done?

I'm not asking anyone to drop themselves in it I just wondered what the common practice is?

Say the tails from the main fuse are 16mm, would people upgrade them to 25mm or not touch the connections to the main fuse and just upgrade the tails from the meter to the consumer unit?

Thanks.

What's the general feeling of pulling the fuse and then uprating the tails from the main fuse to the meter and then from the meter to the new consumer unit?

Is it something that is commonly done?

I'm not asking anyone to drop themselves in it I just wondered what the common practice is?

Say the tails from the main fuse are 16mm, would people upgrade them to 25mm or not touch the connections to the main fuse and just upgrade the tails from the meter to the consumer unit?

Thanks.

I generally dont change the tails from the head to meter....just change em from meter to cu. No need to pull fuse, they seem to just fall out alot of the time.lol

Yes I am talking domestic.

How about moving the meter?

Is it something people would do, I mean if a meter needs moving and to move it you will have to extend the length of the tails from the main fuse to the meter because the meter will now be further away from the main fuse?

I suppose a Henly block or something similar could be used to extend the length of the tails coming from the main fuse to the meter?

Or is it best to phone the supplier and get them to come out and get them to move the meter?
The trouble is they might take ages to get there.

Last edited:
uprating the tails from the main fuse to the meter

After the meter,you are your own man,before the meter,you leave well alone,it is not only nothing to do with us,it comes under different regulations and its iillegal and with a capitol I

No new rods to be installed, where currant earthing is inadequate conversion to PME must be included in the quote

Never used to be any costs involved from the old regional boards for a PME conversion, and many of the present DNO's still don't charge where PME is already available. This sounds more like a money making exercise than anything else. And at £156 a throw, for literary a few minutes work, a real money maker for this DNO!!

Do not touch the meter .....................................
yes i am talking domestic.

How about moving the meter?

Is it something people would do, i mean if a meter needs moving and to move it you will have to extend the length of the tails from the main fuse to the meter because the meter will now be further away from the main fuse?

I suppose a henly block or something similar could be used to extend the length of the tails coming from the main fuse to the meter?

Or is it best to phone the supplier and get them to come out and get them to move the meter?
The trouble is they might take ages to get there.

Reply to DNO - Geordies and Northeners.. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net