Search the forum,

Discuss Dodgy EICR (Consumer) in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good morning

I am a consumer, an accidental landlord, which means I rent out my former home as my circumstances changed a few years ago.

I need an EICR in order to carry on renting my flat.

The NICEIC registered electrician that came turned out to be unqualified and the report not worth the paper it is written on. I know this because I had another electrician look at it. Even without looking at the installation, a novice like me can see that the report is full of ambiguity with a frightening array of C2 codes. It was quite clear that faults had been invented so that this company could charge for further work.

I made a complaint to the NICEIC and they acknowledged there were ‘issues’ but insist that the original company returns to put the matter right.

This makes absolutely no sense to me and I have 2 questions.

1. If this person/company was incompetent (and probably dishonest) the first time around, why would he/they be any more competent or honest the next time?

2. What qualifications should I be looking for to engage a competent, experienced EICR-capable electrician?

I have read on your forum that even electricians with 20 years’ experience can struggle to pass the exams to do an EICR and can still trip over these codes.

This is all part of a bigger story which I’ll be happy to share, but let me start with that.

Thanks for your time.

JH4JILL

This makes absolutely no sense to me and I have 2 questions.

1. If this person/company was incompetent (and probably dishonest) the first time around, why would he/they be any more competent or honest the next time?

2. What qualifications should I be looking for to engage a competent, experienced EICR-capable electrician?

1. I'd imagine the only hope here would be that it's a big company and you got unlucky with one engineer. I would probably try and get a refund as you've paid for a service you didn't receive.

2. Typically you'd be looking for City & Guilds 2391 Periodic Inspection or EAL 2625 (EAL 4337/4338) - Periodic Inspection and Testing.

Do you let your property out through an lettings agent? They may be able to recommend companies that other landlords have used.

Another way would be to use electrical competent person website to find a one man band that offers the service. You know then that the CPS will have assessed that one person.

If the original electrician is registered with NICEIC it may be as a domestic installer only, which meanss he may not be able to cary out EICRs under the scheme rules (basically using their certification),however that does not preclude him from carrying out EICRs under his own banner ,using his own PI insurance if he has the prerequisite qualifications (C&G2391) I think it’s unlikely that he is unqualified as membership hinges on certain basic qualifications, more likely he doesn't have EICRs as part of his scheme membership.

There is no requirement to hold a qualification to carry out an EICR although membership to a scheme are likely to require one if that is part of your scope of works with them, the key is experience and competence. Holding a qualification which covers EICRs is absolutely no guarantee the individual is competent to do such works.

Last edited:
As above, there is no requirement to hold any qualifications to carry out EICR’s, you only need to prove competence, and holding a level 3 certificate in inspection & testing goes towards showing competence.

However, it doesn’t guarantee the person is competent. Normally if you don’t a 2391 or equivalent qualification, you’re not allowed to carry out EICR under your scheme banner. I know this is the case for NAPIT, but can’t say for the NIC.

I'd love to hear the rest of the story. Ditto above. Like so many services, you never know what you are going to get. You could hire a lawyer who is pants/brilliant. Same qualificiations/experience but just not the same intelligence and honesty. I think the key factor is a person who is diligent and conscientious. Perhaps the way forward is to make it clear from the start, you will not be using the same electrician for remedial work, you will be using some other firm/electrician to put right any defects found. This is a growing trend for LLs to separate the two functions. Obviously there is a conflict of interests. Same with an MOT, again you need an honest and conscientious mechanic to ensure you will not be charged for unnecessary work.

Last edited:
If someone is a member of a scheme I think that 'increases' the likelihood of them being able to carry out an EICR correctly, although frankly probably only a very little as being registered is unlikely to have anything to do with EICR's.

I would try 2 things. Firstly ask your neighbours for recommendations, that's always going to be better than an advert. Secondly ask on here if anyone is local. The vast majority of electricians on this site are clearly interested in doing a good job, usually to a higher standard than the average electrician.

If possible could you post a copy of the report, with personal details redacted, so we could take a look and offer an opinion?

I was a QS for an NICEIC approved contractor for several years and although they offer a customer gold standard warranty they rarely use it and just ty to get the original contractor to sort it out with the customer. TBH I don't have a lot of faith in their complaints procedure.

1. I'd imagine the only hope here would be that it's a big company and you got unlucky with one engineer. I would probably try and get a refund as you've paid for a service you didn't receive.

2. Typically you'd be looking for City & Guilds 2391 Periodic Inspection or EAL 2625 (EAL 4337/4338) - Periodic Inspection and Testing.

Do you let your property out through an lettings agent? They may be able to recommend companies that other landlords have used.

Another way would be to use electrical competent person website to find a one man band that offers the service. You know then that the CPS will have assessed that one person.
Thank you Gary

I’ll know next time! This however was a particularly odd situation.

I’ve tried to get a refund for the EICR and the company point blank refuse. They are a General Maintenance Company based in London and are notorious for taking advantage of emergency situations, putting their customers on the clock, creating unnecessary work, and charging £88 plus VAT per hour.

This company were called out on an emergency basis by my tenant who read their (self written) reviews and, not being able to get hold of me immediately- (I picked up his WhatsApp 3 hours later) called them in.

If you’re interested, I have a press story that I’ll be sending out soon which is really more about the NICEIC and their unwillingness to mediate. The EICR was actually a side issue. (I didn’t know this company’s reputation at the time and asked them, whilst they were there, to do an EICR)

So, my next question is:-
Why would an honest and competent electrician want to affiliate him/herself to a Trade Association that effectively turns a blind eye to dishonest incompetents?

PS: If you want to read the whole story, please let me know

If possible could you post a copy of the report, with personal details redacted, so we could take a look and offer an opinion?

I was a QS for an NICEIC approved contractor for several years and although they offer a customer gold standard warranty they rarely use it and just ty to get the original contractor to sort it out with the customer. TBH I don't have a lot of faith in their complaints procedure.
Hello Strima
Yes, I’ll put it all together so you can take a look. It may take me an hour or so.

Reply to Dodgy EICR (Consumer) in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net