Discuss Dodgy Manufacturers Instructions for lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dartlec

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
On two occasions recently when changing light fittings I've been bored enough (after fitting the light naturally), to read the instructions that came with them...

Two different manufacturers (or at least brands) have had instructions calling for terminals to be covered in insulation tape...

Exhibit 1:
mi.jpg

In this particular case, it was even more ridiculous to suggest it, given that the terminal block was attached to the lamp base with the standard 'tab' to provide earthing contact, so it wouldn't be possible even if you wanted to...

I've never seen it suggested before - is this something that is common in other countries, or manufacturers trying to avoid double insulating their cables for cost reasons?

How does this square with the general idea that 'insulation' tape is for everything BUT insulation (personally I use it mostly as a plaster), but a requirement to take Manufacturers instructions into account when installing fittings?

Neither of these lights were cheap either btw - First was from John Lewis, and the second was from Waitrose, so not at the Screwfix end of the market...

The only time I consider using 'insulation' in this way is those hideous 'Class 2' metal fittings that have the rubber tube and tiny white box with 2 metal terminals inside. Those are usually punted into the furthest recess, and if it's an outside light I'll use SA tape to cover Wago fittings....

Someone made reference to this the other week but I thought it was sarcasm. John Lewis and Waitrose and both owned by the John Lewis partnership so no surprise they have the same products. I would personally email them for a comment.

These Waitrose lights are presumably made in the EU

My parents used to own an apartment is Crete and I changed a couple of the original hanging lights once. The original ones had a cone base and inside the cone base was a connector block wrapped in loads of white tape. It would have been done like this when built around the late 1990s. They were all connected like this. You have a conduit in the concrete ceiling and single pop out of a box. I guess they wrap all their connections like this in tape because they are singles.

john lewis should stick to wardrobes and beds. leave electrical items to them who know what they're doing.

I checked and the first one I posted was from Inlight, which is one of the brands of this company, which I guess is the importer for several brands. I'll email them but not expecting a coherent response...

The second one was a John Lewis branded light:

JLLight - Copy.jpg

Which was one of the ones with that hideous 2 way connector block with rubber sheath that should be obliterated from space, along with whoever designed it...

Reply to Dodgy Manufacturers Instructions for lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net