Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

smaller issues are often unreported for small private aircraft, the bigger ones it is harder to hide when you put the wrong size screws in the windscreen!
British-Airways-Flight-5390--759x500.jpg
We still learn about that at work during human factors training pretty sure every screw was either the wrong length and/or diameter

We still learn about that at work during human factors training pretty sure every screw was either the wrong length and/or diameter
I bet it's part of the standard syllabus of "how not to do it" British Airways Flight 5390 - Wikipedia
Wikipedia also has a list of explosive decompression events - not just limited to aircraft. The 1983 diving bell/decompression suite accident is not one to read when about to sit down for a meal - or if squeamish.

In my line of work, we have similar sessions. Decompression is rarely a topic, the reverse is sometimes. There was some discussion around the office in June ... There have been others, USS Thresher being one that caused a rethink around design/safety standards.

And the HMS Thetis accident caused all HMS subs to be fitted with a Thetis clip on the torpedo tubes, as did the (I think) the HMS Truculent colliding with an oil tanker making it mandatory to have a Truculent light on the bow when surfaced.

Just a small job, replacing a 3 gang switch that was basically worn out...brushed steel, no fly-lead to backbox, and a mix of t&e and a flex...nice switch with the coms all at the top and L1 and L2 at the bottom, rather than the staggered pattern of the new switch...it all went swimmingly (DIF!)...here is a nice touch though, the original electrician typed out a nice key to what was what...
1694724376968.jpeg

All very neat and self-explanatory, one 15A and the rest 5A...
and a very neat board too
1694724474956.jpeg

You know that time when you take a pic of the wiring, replicate it, even though the new switch is configured differently, connect it all up...and each switch does what it's supposed to do...then you realise it's upside down, so on is up and off is down, so you rotate the switch...all is good til she says "Oh, the left one is supposed to operate the lights on the right, and the right one is supposed to do the left ones..." and i said, "the middle one does the middle string, so that's good!" She wanted it back the way it was...so I undid the outer two and swapped them over, checked they were working, and all was well. I added a fly-lead from the chrome switch to the back-box, screwed it all back and...BANG! Yup, nipped a cable with the fixing screw...a couple of seconds of sparks and glows and the fuse blew...that's the fuse number 5, lighting, 5Amp...no, it's not, all the 5A fuses, which are in 15A carriers, are fitted with 15A fusewire...still, I'm glad the faceplate was earthed. Another 5 minute job, satisfactorily completed! Spot the nice curly tails from the bottom of the box!
Never mind...
"Oh, while you are here..."
FEK, what now?
This under-cupboard light isn't working...
never seen one before, but hey...finally worked out how to take out the lamp from the holder, and it's a GX53. Oddly enough, I don't have a spare in my bag...research shows that the 2.5W 6500k version she has is impossible to source...
I';ve ordered a 4 pack of 6W warm white...she'll never notice if i replace them all at once!

never seen one before, but hey...finally worked out how to take out the lamp from the holder, and it's a GX53. Oddly enough, I don't have a spare in my bag...research shows that the 2.5W 6500k version she has is impossible to source...
I';ve ordered a 4 pack of 6W warm white...she'll never notice if i replace them all at once!

Think I'd have aimed to replace the lot with slim link lights and amazed her with instant full illumination.

I did that for my neighbour and she was delighted! Robus spear lamps, really nice. The old brown and beige fluorescent ones had melted end caps and had charred the underside of the cabinets...
12 of them replaced by 3 new ones...what a transformation!

I did that for my neighbour and she was delighted! Robus spear lamps, really nice. The old brown and beige fluorescent ones had melted end caps and had charred the underside of the cabinets...
12 of them replaced by 3 new ones...what a transformation!

Even the cheap LAP ones from Screwfix seem fairly reliable. I've put a few sets in on occassions where price was a big issue for someone elderly. Not heard of a single failure to date and everyone has been pleased with the difference between old and new.

LAP certainly wouldn't be a 'go to' or recommendation, but they do seem to be okay.

You know that time when you take a pic of the wiring, replicate it, even though the new switch is configured differently, connect it all up...and each switch does what it's supposed to do...then you realise it's upside down, so on is up and off is down, so you rotate the switch...all is good til she says "Oh, the left one is supposed to operate the lights on the right, and the right one is supposed to do the left ones..." and i said, "the middle one does the middle string, so that's good!" She wanted it back the way it was...so I undid the outer two and swapped them over, checked they were working, and all was well. I added a fly-lead from the chrome switch to the back-box, screwed it all back and...BANG! Yup, nipped a cable with the fixing screw...a couple of seconds of sparks and glows and the fuse blew...that's the fuse number 5, lighting, 5Amp...no, it's not, all the 5A fuses, which are in 15A carriers, are fitted with 15A fusewire...still, I'm glad the faceplate was earthed. Another 5 minute job, satisfactorily completed! Spot the nice curly tails from the bottom of the box!
Never mind...
"Oh, while you are here..."
FEK, what now?
Was going to say that fuse box is nothing like the schedule draw up

Quick update on Stranraer:
Don't bother! The only good thing is that drinks in the pub are amazingly cheap, and I had brilliant, inexpensive pub grub, but otherwise not worth the drive, imho.

lol He said his apprentice measured it! He must have realised something was wrong by the depth surely! he actually asked me if i could move it all so he could still put his overflow pipe there, cheek!
I was drilling through the other day and measured extremely carefully to avoid a gate post and a gas pipe. The pilot hole went fine and it came out exactly where I wanted. Then I went up a size and felt the two skins, but then a bit of air and then something 'strange'. I stopped when it was clear this wasn't brick and and went to look.
The builders lad had opened the gate! But the brick I'd put there to keep it closed was now blocking the frame so the gate couldn't close and the drill was in the process of taking a nice little gouge out of the gate. Luckily this wasn't very noticeable as the gate was rotten beyond hope anyway.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock