Currently reading:
Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views!

Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Darkwood

Staff member
Mod
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Right ... Just been nudged to set this up by Paul.M and sounds a good idea following recent threads I've done in the Arms..

Rules....No Offensive material... edit if required before posting as this is the public arena.
Anything to do with the trade or in and around it ...H&S pic's welcome.

Beware plumbers!!!.jpg

I've posted this a few times and this is at a mates house following a kitchen refirb several yrs ago. :eek:mg_smile:

Beware plumbers!!!.jpg

That wants flagging to the kitchen company. Wonder how many times they've done ite, and they'll continue to do it.
Was old probably about 20 years ago!

House was fully rewired in 1970s but has no earth on the lighting, its just twin 1mm copper, its odd as I thought anything 1960s onwards had earth in the lighting

I've seen loads of stranded cable with no earth but not 1mm solid copper

Was old probably about 20 years ago!

House was fully rewired in 1970s but has no earth on the lighting, its just twin 1mm copper, its odd as I thought anything 1960s onwards had earth in the lighting

I've seen loads of stranded cable with no earth but not 1mm solid copper
Sadly not too uncommon to see a "full rewire" that leaves some difficult to replace cables re-used.

Got a call out to a cooker tripping the RCD every time the oven is switched on. But the time taken would vary. Suspected a failing element.

So went and had a look, tested the element. It registered 25.9ohms so about right for the size of the oven.

Checked all the wiring and took the bulb out to check that as seen issues with those before.

Noticed how the consumer unit was oddly set up but will get to that shortly.

So next tested the RCD.

Trip was fine at 38.6ms.
Ramp test was 19mA which is a little sensitive but above the 15mA minimum.

So next I put my clamp meter on the connections in the back of the oven. It was leaking around 3-4mA until the temp is set. Once the temp is set the leakage then climbs to around 13-14ma and fluctuates between 5-14mA (before the RCD trips).

So looking at the board I can hazard a guess that because they have stuck all the high power circuits on one RCD and all the lights on the other. We have got a case of accumulative leakage tripping the RCD as when the other circuits are off and just the oven is on. The RCD stays on.

AB657925-51A1-4C40-8EBC-173BD4CA6CCB.jpeg

2BBDF6CB-F51D-4A81-A154-74572BF20D10.jpeg

Whilst there I noticed the wiring for the outside light. But another electrician apparently said this is ok as it’s out of reach. 🤔

A2122A6D-45EA-4745-B32E-3E1534C98506.jpeg

So next I put my clamp meter on the connections in the back of the oven. It was leaking around 3-4mA until the temp is set. Once the temp is set the leakage then climbs to around 13-14ma and fluctuates between 5-14mA (before the RCD trips).
I would check for reversed polarity at the oven, in case it is the neutral that is being switched off so higher leakage once cycling.

Whilst there I noticed the wiring for the outside light. But another electrician apparently said this is ok as it’s out of reach. 🤔
Oh FFS!

That is a good advert for why T&E is not a suitable outside choice. Even if out of reach, which is a load of balls, then once it leaks you risk the lights on RCD going off mid winter.

It's been moved since it decayed, I'd bet money. Has the wall been repointed recently? Might explain things.

Pass, I'll ask when I go back. I did notice the clips looked quite new. Maybe the electrician who said it was ok as it's out of reach put some new clips in for them. You know just to keep it out of reach and compliant.....

Got a call out to a cooker tripping the RCD every time the oven is switched on. But the time taken would vary. Suspected a failing element.

So went and had a look, tested the element. It registered 25.9ohms so about right for the size of the oven.

Checked all the wiring and took the bulb out to check that as seen issues with those before.

Noticed how the consumer unit was oddly set up but will get to that shortly.

So next tested the RCD.

Trip was fine at 38.6ms.
Ramp test was 19mA which is a little sensitive but above the 15mA minimum.

So looking at the board I can hazard a guess that because they have stuck all the high power circuits on one RCD and all the lights on the other. We have got a case of accumulative leakage tripping the RCD as when the other circuits are off and just the oven is on. The RCD stays on.

View attachment 104526

View attachment 104525

Peeves me when they go to the expense of fitting a spd, but then skimp on a split load board.

I would also be looking at that oven again as that leakage is way too high, Should be around 1 mA or 1 mA/kW of rated power

RCD with a rated operating current of 30 mA, the maximum leakage current is 9 mA

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back