Discuss Does anyone use their actual name as their Business name? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

1shortcircuit

This may or may not sound like a bizarre question but do any members use their own name as their business name?

I would like to consider it as an option in the future as I could see that it could have a massive benefit BUT we all know that a bad word travels far quicker than the good and it would only take a minor hiccup to ruin the business and your good name.

i think it has its advantages and disadvantages in using and not using the name. the advantage being it implies a personal touch, the disadvantage maybe that it implies you are a small one man band, i am far from saying there is anything wrong in the slightest with one man bands as i have been one myself so please dont take this the wrong way. when i chose mine i used my initials within the name of it and back in the day when it was the yellow pages and thompson local i dropped an A infront of the name i was using for it. easy to remember for the customer as well sometimes works.

I used my initials MPS Electrical. Depending on the type of work domestic I would always introduce myself as Malcolm and for commercial/Industrial was always Mr Sanford until I got to know the client

I always felt that a named letterhead looked a little amateurist and for commercial/industrial it never really worked.

This may or may not sound like a bizarre question but do any members use their own name as their business name?

I would like to consider it as an option in the future as I could see that it could have a massive benefit BUT we all know that a bad word travels far quicker than the good and it would only take a minor hiccup to ruin the business and your good name.

It really depends, I think, on the type of business you're in, and the type of business you want.

IMO (and I think someone else has said it), it works well for domestic customers, but less so for commercial/industrial etc.

Professions are generally best suited to "self-named" business titles, while trades generally seem to do better when their title relates to the trade, rather than the guy (or gal) behind it.

The game changes of course, if you ever become a Limited company - Fred Smith Ltd, might be seen as a little "limiting" especially in the domestic environment, as nobody would know what that was about - although clearly, "Fred Smith Electrical Genius Ltd" might be better.

I think, if you are going to use your own name, do so, but qualify it - be bold (but truthful) - as I say, "Fred Smith Electrics" is a lot less endearing than something like "Fred Smith, Sparks to the gods" which would convey a REASON to use you too.

IMVHO, it is the key piece of marketing most business get very wrong, in so many different ways. But I guess that's just the same way that so many single mothers these days give their offspring names which nobody else can make sense of any longer - "ain't that so, Spudulika!"

Hey..using the personal name as business name will affect your personal life. Your own personal name will become public which is not good and nothing will be personal in your life.

The other thing is it depends on the type of the business. If the business is concerned with personal things like art, music and other you can cause but if the business is for commercial use it is better to choose a name according to the business.

Wish you Luck

Hey..using the personal name as business name will affect your personal life. Your own personal name will become public which is not good and nothing will be personal in your life.

The other thing is it depends on the type of the business. If the business is concerned with personal things like art, music and other you can cause but if the business is for commercial use it is better to choose a name according to the business.

Wish you Luck

Utter twaddle.

Yea we're not trying to be celebrities or anything???

I use my surname as my business name, and put my full name on all the advertising I can - I concentrate on domestic and light commercial work so I think it helps with the connection to the customer, mind you I have been blessed with quite a trustworthy sounding name - Will Butler - and I'm not sure if you'd get the same response with a name like Darren Arkwright or Bert Possleferth. No offence meant to any Darren Arkwrights or Bert Possleferths out there.

If your forum name is your real name then I really don't think you should use it for electrical work.

Wouldn't work for me as my name is Richard Head:eek:

I dunno pal - I know quite a few who *should* use that in their business names ;)

I really did know a guy called Alan Richard Shole, though......which was the funniest (and shortest lived) name ever seen on an actual genuine letterhead. A.R. Shole Heating and Plumbing.

He didn't seem that impressed when we all pointed out his "tag line" should be "no *.*.*.*.".......

Last edited by a moderator:
Initials also ..... here's a laugh for you I have a friend in the UK he is a headmaster and without a word of a lie he's called Richard Head,

Lots of people do. I can see why people might not want to but if you own the company then why not. Some of the biggest companies in the world come from people's same - Proctor and Gamble, Ford, Ferrari. Some names sound better than others in a company name though.

Lots of people do. I can see why people might not want to but if you own the company then why not. Some of the biggest companies in the world come from people's same - Proctor and Gamble, Ford, Ferrari. Some names sound better than others in a company name though.

Jack Daniels ;)

i sort of use my name. as my name is Tel, and i install electrics, hence Telectrix. ( used x instad of cs cos it looks better in my view.)

Reply to Does anyone use their actual name as their Business name? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net