Discuss Does MY HAMMER encourage cowboys??? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

I lost out to this site too. How do people know what they'll really end up getting. fair price, honest work etc is a much better bet and they charge a fortune too. Better off with a rated jobby or the new myprospot.com stuff. Get your custy's to vouch for you and people will pay a fair price.

I also noticed peole just re-register when things go wrong and they get found out. Not for me.

Dangerous,should be banned,how are decent hardworking qualified tradesmen supposed to earn a living with this going on,when there houses burn down and god forbid someone gets killed who gets the bad press,u guessed it us.not impressed at all with this site.im being made redundant in august so will have to start up on my own,better than the rock an roll,this sort of thing is not gonna help my situation,anyway lloyd i agree with u completely,in other countries u need to show a license to work on electric/gas before even looking at a job,this country has to follow suit

I'm a bit of an Internet geek and have registered a 'business profile' on [link removed] I think its better as a) it's free (although I did go for a premium package), b) you get free leads rather than a site getting a cut on your job and c) you can register your certs/quals on it. You also get details of the job come through and if its not for you just ignore it. Looks the best option to me although I'm sure loads more will appear over time.

Stick to your guns - lots of people are willing to pay for a decent job. If we all start dropping our prices we'll just mess it up for each other - that's my take anyway ;)

Hi,

In my opinion MyHammer ARE cowboys thenselves, I made the mistake of creating an account with them when I first started being an electrician. I have since cancelled my account and they are still sending me invoices... and the "helpline" is no help what so ever .....

Hi,

In my opinion MyHammer ARE cowboys thenselves, I made the mistake of creating an account with them when I first started being an electrician. I have since cancelled my account and they are still sending me invoices... and the "helpline" is no help what so ever .....

Ignore the invoices they will go away, trust me I still owe them £23 and they have no chance of getting it all they did was ban me ( had no intention of continuing) and I think they would have a lot of trouble persuing you for it as they are a german company. I actually went further and during a email row over the £23 I called em " A bunch of cabbage munching surrender monkeys that touch animals innapropriatly" I had a rather irate phone call from ze motherland and was subsequently banned ha ha ha

I had the same experience with myhammer (premium try package) they claimed i had to cancel my 3 months free membership with them after 2 months by giving 1 months notice in writing. They claimed that if i did not cancel the free 3 month trial period in this way that i also will default to an automatic 1 year contact with them. They are now perusing me for a 1 year membership payment via a debt collecting company who are claiming i must have agreed to these terms and conditions when i signed up for the 3 months offer. I deny i agreed to agree to these T & C 's as they suggest and have asked for proof of my agreement i gave to them, which they are unable to produce.

I was just wondering how you got on with trying to cancel your 1 year membership with this COWBOY myhammer company. I also agree with all the other posts on this site regarding under cutting of prices etc thats why i only stayed for the 3 months. Around the Liverpool area the same is happening and it only seems to attract certain types of tradesmen to be involved in doing this work on myhammer. I use the word "tradesmen" very loosely indeed :(

regards Carl

we also joined three month trail with my hammer now they say we are locked into a twelve month contract apparently we needed to contact them in the first two month trial read someone else had this problem did you get it resolved we are currently being chased by debt collector for invoices. i would pay if i believed i owe but feel i have been roped into entering into a contract with them without actually knowing i done so. Im waiting for a response from watchdog did anyone get a response from channel five.

Hi guys, I'm not an electrician myself but I own a small maintenance company and have fully qualified electrician working with me. I've made the mistake to sign up for Myhammer 3 months trial period and after couple of month fruitless attempt to win a job my mate sparky and I have gIven up. You all know the story: impossible quotes, everyone can see your quote and bit below, my add appear 3655 miles away from the job, etc.. When I signed up there was only 09...customer service number charging £1.5 a minute so I never bother to call. Have tried to email customer service but it hasn't made any difference. The problem was that, like some of you I was confused by the information on MyHammer home page that I'll pay £60 one off payment and after three months my account will be cancelled automatically if I don't pay further. Unfortunately that wasn't the case and on the end of the third month I got an invoice from MyHammer saying I've been charged £71 and my membership was extended for another year. I've cancelled the direct debit immediately and ask my membership to be terminated. MyHammer refused and insist I should pay till the rest of the year although I'm not using their service any longer.
Since then I've tried to solve the dispute via customer service call centre, emails and even called Fair Trading Association with no result whatsoever. Today I found in MyHammer terms and conditions that they must comply with Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000. In this document says that all information regarding payments and contract cancellation must be clearly stated which in our case was not. But more interesting was the following paragraph:

3.10 If you provide pre-contractual information in a form that does not
allow it to be stored or reproduced by the consumer, such as during a
phone call or on a website, then you must confirm in writing, or in
another durable medium available and accessible to the consumer,
the information given at paragraph 3.1(i) to (viii).

Durable medium is not defined in the DSRs. Our view is that it
means a form in which information can be retained and reproduced
but cannot be edited, such as an email that can be printed or a letter,
fax or brochure that can be kept for future reference. We do not
consider that information on a website is durable as it can be changed
at any time after the consumer has accessed it. Technological
advances may change what we regard as durable in the future.

I haven't received any "Durable medium" regarding the trial period cancellation rules, has any of you?
At present I have a dispute with MyHammer over my refusal to pay another year for such a poor service. They threaten me with Debt Collectors Agency. I don't know how is that works for them as they are registered outside UK but any help from you guys will be appreciated.
I hope I've been helpful with the information above.

Hello all,
I'm actually a chippie but decided to register and post as I'm going through the same issues as some mentioned above....
Back in August, in my 4th month (yes I missed the trial period deadline) I asked to have the contract cancelled due to the way I was treated and the level of service I was receiving - or not actually receiving as it was. Same old story from MyHammer - ignored some of my e-mails, no managers to talk to, took money from me in error and refused to refund it promising to reduce the next invoice which didn't happen either etc etc. Last communication was my request to cancel, then nothing for almost 3 months, now a letter from a solicitor threatening to take me to court!!
I called the Solicitors, they have no info and referred me to the collections agency, who can't help me either and referred me to MyHammer. Now MyHammer claim I am under contract and obliged to pay no matter what.

I am going to continue to refuse to pay on the grounds that the service I received was not satisfactory....

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has gone this far, or even beyond, or if there has been any resolution?

I am also particularly interested in the point made above regarding the contract being provided under the Distance Selling Act....

Please get in touch if you need to: [email protected]

Cheers,
Pete

Thanks for the good information from another trade. I used to be a debt collector some while back. Check the terms and conditions of the free/reduced period. Does it state "automatical continuation of the full year" if you don't inform them to cancel? Another thing anyone can do with any direct debit is to tell your bank you want to do an indemnity claim for the dds you think are incorrect. You request this before 3pm and the money has to be refunded into your account by the end if that working day. Send a letter to them recorded delivery showing your payments for the services you have received and that you have paid for what you have used. All other communications will only be accepted by letter, no phone calls under the telephone communication act 1988. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the private message from solo, sounds like it's still going on....
With regard to myself, MyHammer have appointed a debt collection agency to chase me called Arvato Finance but in my opinion they are no better than MyHammer, just as useless and really do not know what they are doing. I have been telling both that I'm not paying based on not being satisfied with the service I received (account suspended for no reason, charged incorrectly, refund not given, ignoring emails I sent, customer service hanging up on me when I demand to speak to a manager etc etc) - that way I hope to avoid the contract issue and get them on more of a consumer rights. I believe they must be obliged to provide a certain level of service and if it did ever go to a court in the UK, I would be surprised if a magistrate thought I should pay them for treating me like that....
Anyway, the saga continues and if anything changes I will post to this forum.
Cheers,
Pete

Hi
I have the same problem
I agreed to a free trial period. Never once use the service. They then claim I am liable for a full year contract because I did not inform them at the end of the "free trial" that I wasn't continuing. I have bee getting letters for ages and just ignore them.
If they are doing this to enough people, is there a chance of organising a "class action" against them.

If enough people got together and funded a solicitor to quash all the claims against everyone in this position?

I think its time to call trading standards. If they find that any company are trying to obtain money through small print contracts you will all receive your refunds or stop them from charging you for services not received.

I tried them registered with paypal and after relising mobile calls not getting answered and charges for jobs quotes which were already done. You probably phoned mobiles that never got answered no matter how many time you phone then clearly these are fake jobs (ghost jobs) I havn't paid a penny because closed paypal account now the can sing for the 55 quid only uded them because i was desperate and Avoid like the plague .

If you buy contact details you can agree on a price with customer say 1500 and tell them you'll bid 200 so they can rate you,so basically the jobs already gone but they continue to sell quote and you won't see the bids till the end even though person won with 200 quote he's actually getting 1500 and job is already done

No worse than "Barnets safe work scheme" thing they run. People contact the council for recommendations etc to have work done

TRUST me most of them are not only cowboys but THIEVES. Many people have found stuff missing or the houses are robbed very soon after work has been done

All these schemes in this country are a scam . the whole electrical control of how things are run is a joke.

It needs to be stopped and everyone starts again. I like the German/french style of been a trades person

Reply to Does MY HAMMER encourage cowboys??? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net