Discuss Does this sound true???? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mickytuff

Had a look ata job earliar, the downstairs garage is being converted into a bedroom with a on suite bathroom, apparently mains smoke detectors are needed in the dining room which is opposite(existing) the new bedroom and upstairs landing, is this the law as it were, or simply giong ova the top.The one in the new bedroomi understand but the others??????, one hasnt been specified for the hall either, mystery to me........

Can not quite picture the layout but i think you mean you have to exit the new bedroom through the dining room in which case it would be needed as it is within 3 meters of the bed room door way !?

I would say the minimum requirement for domestic is one up, one down; but you have a bedroom with access through another room, presumably over 7m away, so would need another one there (bedroom or dining room).

So your minimum would be one in dining room, one hall and one landing.

However since you have one in the bedroom you can revert the one in the hall to the dining room escape route.

Im wiring a loft conversion for a builder and he said building control told him to either fit fire doors to all the excisting bedrooms (3) or put a smoke alarm in each one. They already have one down stairs and one linked on the landing and now they will have 4 more added. Sounds abit too much to me. All the rooms are within 2 meters of the smoke on the landing. The home owner said he will just take them out of the bedrooms once it has passed the inspection.

Jay

Reply to Does this sound true???? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net