Currently reading:
"Domestic installer " due to be binned?

Discuss "Domestic installer " due to be binned? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Who are the "powers that be" and any references for this information?

Only thing I've heard in relation to DI is that the NICEIC (not sure about the other CPS') are changing their entry requirements for the domestic installers scheme so from Sept this year an NVQ level 3 or equivalent is required, effectively making it impossible for a person that has done only a DI course to join.

Last edited:
What’s a domestic installers course ? Is it one of those 5 day fast track oven baked things

imo 5 days isn’t long enough to become a qualified electrician. It should be 6 days
make it 7. can't have traineees lying in bed late on a Sunday. how can they face the real world then?

Who are the "powers that be" and any references for this information?

Only thing I've heard in relation to DI is that the NICEIC (not sure about the other CPS') are changing their entry requirements for the domestic installers scheme so from Sept this year an NVQ level 3 or equivalent is required, effectively making it impossible for a person that has done only a DI course to join.
I heard from someone who had a NICEIC inspector around .The inspector said they are planning on not accepting DI qualification only and REMOVING those who only have the DI qualification from their scheme ?????

I heard from someone who had a NICEIC inspector around .The inspector said they are planning on not accepting DI qualification only and REMOVING those who only have the DI qualification from their scheme ?????
They won't accept the DI course as it's not an NVQ or equivalent. Those on the scheme already will not be removed, the changes only affect people joining the scheme after 1st sept 21.

They won't accept the DI course as it's not an NVQ or equivalent. Those on the scheme already will not be removed, the changes only affect people joining the scheme after 1st sept 21.
It is a bit of a half hearted attempt to fix a problem that they created IMO, those already in the scheme should be given a period of time to update or even demonstrate they are bringing their qualifications up to the required minimum standard for membership, I don't think a keep on paying your fees and you will be ok to carry on is good enough you could end up with a part of the scheme membership that is below the required new entry level for potentially 30 - 40 years

The DI 'short course electrician' was nothing short of a band wagon scam to fill the coffers of the scams.
It turned Dave the plumber into Dave the Electrician literally overnight with little to no actual on-site experience.
If we really want a better standard for domesticated electrician then the scams should put on some proper courses for Dave

.....that flooded the domestic market with primarily untrained and incompetent domestic installers. I wont call them sparks because they aren't for obvious reasons.

A bit of a blanket statement there...
There are some good people on here who have taken the short course and then gone on to expand their knowledge and experience. I take my hat off to them and would class them as sparks.

From me the whole D.I thing was backwards and degraded the trade as a whole

do you have domestic plumbers or domestic carpenters , no , you have plumbers and carpenters

the entire D.I thing was ill though out and just a cash grab scam

why can’t we just go back to the days of an electrician was an electrician

As mentioned those already registered are okay. If you now try to join the DI scheme then you will require the qualifications or have been a qs for 2+ years.
I did post something about this recently. I think the training centres will be rethinking things.

why can’t we just go back to the days of an electrician was an electrician
Because as a nation we're losing traditional skills and the education system is designed solely to teach kids how to look up the answer

Because kids aren't taught that electricians are gods, instead they're sold the dream of university debt

Because Mrs Jones thinks it's easy because it's on YouTube so wants it cheap

Because why be a trade college with an intake of 50-60 apprentice's a year with no money when you can advertise lies on the internet and have an intake of 50-60 a month with a credit card

Because.....
Because.....

Reply to "Domestic installer " due to be binned? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock