Discuss Domestic installer path info please..... in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

im not saying the courses are a waste of time but if im going on the wrong courses for what i want to do then it would
appear to be a waste of time in my eyes yes, the head of electrical in our college has given us this table for different paths so is she right or wrong, if wrong why is she wrong? i dont quite get if im just getting sarcasm or serious answers either?!
thought the training bit was somewhere newbies could get help?!

do you want to be electrician ? If yes then get on level 2 then 3. There is no short cut, sorry to dissapoint you.

Last edited:
Did your tutor tell you that you can only hold a trainee card for 2 years, then after that you'd only be entitled to a labourer's card?

The trainee card is intended for exactly that - to get you on site until you complete the NVQ3, when you get an electrician's card.
Ending up as a trainee isn't really a "path".

Did your tutor tell you that you can only hold a trainee card for 2 years, then after that you'd only be entitled to a labourer's card?

The trainee card is intended for exactly that - to get you on site until you complete the NVQ3, when you get an electrician's card.
Ending up as a trainee isn't really a "path".
the only thing she said about the ecs card is that you can get one after you complete level 2 and go on site to work as a electricians mate

im not saying the courses are a waste of time but if im going on the wrong courses for what i want to do then it would
appear to be a waste of time in my eyes yes, the head of electrical in our college has given us this table for different paths so is she right or wrong, if wrong why is she wrong? i dont quite get if im just getting sarcasm or serious answers either?!
thought the training bit was somewhere newbies could get help?!

The trainee section of the forum is where trainees get help, but you have not posted in it!

dont take offense but what do you guys have to do with the training of new guys to know all the new requirements etc, any lecturers in here?!

The one and only route to becoming an electrician in any field is via an apprenticeship, and we all take on apprentices and train them.

Personally I have had three people work with me after completing these 'domestic installer qualifications' and none of them have been safe to work on their own, and one of them was a particular danger to himself!
The worst part is they all believed that they were qualified and safe to be working solo!

dont take offense but what do you guys have to do with the training of new guys to know all the new requirements etc, any lecturers in here?!
The people offering advice have completed training and are working as electricians. A lecturer might know about what courses are available and should be able to get you a certificate at the end, but they wouldn't know what it takes to get work, which presumably is what you want at the end of all this.

Reply to Domestic installer path info please..... in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net