Discuss Domestic Kitchen Advice in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I wouldnt follow the manufacturers instruction if they didnt comply with the Regs just like the post i put up a few months ago about wrapping tape round terminal block for lights going into the loft

Actually Engineer 54 part p states that manufacturers instructions must be followed not me ;)

How can a microwave manufacturer stipulate a separate circuit for their appliance?? What are you going to do in a completed kitchen with no means of running another circuit without destroying the kitchen finishes?? Why would you need 16A circuit when fitted with a 13A plug top and probably a 1.5mm cord??

It's the Electrician that makes that assessment and decides if a particular load needs/requires a separate circuit, not an appliance manufacturer!! They can stipulate location, mounting, clearances and other such parameters and the like, for their appliance to run efficiently. They can even make suggestions as to means of supply, or whether it needs RCD protection...but that's about it!!!

I have had this discussion on the PV forum where SMA inverters are to manufacturers instructions installed on a 100mA RCD, not taking into account the UK regs on using 30mA RCD for additional protection.

This IMO is systematic of European Manufacturers not taking in to account, or indeed caring about, UK standards. NEF have UK offices and even if they never. would it be impossible for them to at least write an installation manual that is in line with UK Electrical standards, it is not that hard to adapt one surely.

No they write a generic booklet for everywhere in Europe and this includes the UK, who still have different electrical installation practices to the "other" lot in Europe, and like everything Europe originated, we simply accept this, I bet NEF in America have an installation manual designed to American Standards, because if it didn't then NEF would not sell there.

So instead of UK and the IET doing something to address this, we are slowly going to adopt European wiring standards and all that entails. Regulation 134.1.1 as already started the decline of UK installation methods.

All I can say is the first time I came across one of these microwaves, I thought "that'll be OK, I'll just put a plug on it and plug it in". It wasn't long before the continually blowing fuse suggested that we should have followed the instructions. I've had them knock out 16A breakers in normal operation and had to fit C types to overcome it, hence why a number of them specify a 20A dedicated circuit with a double pole isolating switch with 3mm seperation on the contacts.

*edit.
Including the "Caple" appliances I was connecting just yesterday!

Last edited:
All I can say is the first time I came across one of these microwaves, I thought "that'll be OK, I'll just put a plug on it and plug it in". It wasn't long before the continually blowing fuse suggested that we should have followed the instructions. I've had them knock out 16A breakers in normal operation and had to fit C types to overcome it, hence why a number of them specify a 20A dedicated circuit with a double pole isolating switch with 3mm seperation on the contacts.

*edit.
Including the "Caple" appliances I was connecting just yesterday!

That HAS to be an industrial Microwave Combo, if it's taking out 16 A MCBs. As i said i have a Sanyo microwave combo, and the connected load stated cannot ever be achieved because you can't combine all the heating elements and microwave generator at the same time.... I don't think i've ever seen a domestic model that doesn't have a manufactures plug top fitted.

Engineer 54: As I have pointed out part p states manufacturers instructions should be followed not me, so it's no use getting upset with me. You have to remember that anyone carrying out domestic work has to follow BS 7671 and Part P. Let's also not forget that Part P is a statutory document but BS 7671 isn't, believe it or not, it carries more weight.

I don't believe what's written in manufacturers instructions most of the time and I'm more than capable of determining whether something should get it's own circuit or not, but I run a business and I don't want or can afford comebacks, so, if the manufacturer wants a 16A circuit they can have one, so long as they're not asking me to go below the minimum standard I don't care.

Far from getting upset with you Votimax, Just that far too often these manufacturers instructions, ...if you can actually call them that, are contradictory to to our wiring regulations. And when you calculate the full load that these cooking appliances can ''actually'' provide/draw, makes providing a separate circuit, pretty much wishful thinking!!

As i said earlier, i'd like to see companies like NEFF fight that in a court of law, i'll wager they wouldn't!! As i said before, it's fine if you want to provide a separate circuit in a kitchen refurb or new build, but what about in an existing finished kitchen, where there is no way, to supply that appliance other than say, via an existing ring circuit??

As for the Part Pee thing and the BS7671, agree it makes no sense at all, but then the IET never wanted it to be statutory document. It would mean a lot of tidying up, to make it legally tight enough to stand up in a court of law, even though it has been used as such in certain types of class actions...

Reply to Domestic Kitchen Advice in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net