Discuss Domestic retrainer...advice needed please in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dan_sparks

Hi all
i have retrained as a domestic spark,with trade qualified, but am feeling like i have been had..
cant find any work, all my qualifications are just fast track pieces of paper.
is there any hope for people like me?
i have offered to work for free, but starting up on my own seems the only option.
there seems to be a lot of people on the forum saying the same thing as me,
is the industry swamped with us retrainers??
any advice/like stories/help appreciated.

Unfortunately mate, the industry is still on it's behind due to the recession. Yes there are a lot of guys like you out there at the mo, along with time served sparks of 20 yrs experience, fighting for almost no jobs and sadly we all know who will get first refusal.

It is getting better particularly the construction idustry but it is slow. The training centres dont tell you this though before you part with the five or six grand to be trained by them.

Thers not much I can say to help other than keep on ringing, writing e-mailing etc and hopefully something will turn up.

Yes you could say that the industry is swamped, but i think that a lot of trades are in the same boat.You will probably struggle to find anyone who will take you on and give you the going rate unless you can talk the talk and walk the walk.Think about it: How many apprentices are being churned out of college year on year. I bet it does not equal the number of old timer electricians retiring from the trade.Just my opinion, others may disagree

Reply to Domestic retrainer...advice needed please in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net