Discuss double element immersion heater wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lauriehurman

Hi Guys

I've just come across an old immersion heater which I have never seen before and wonder if you can give me a link to a wiring diagram.
Element in at the top, two elements (different lengths), one thermostat, two cables coming in so each element separately switched, BUT one neutral cut off (not connected) and the longer of the two elements does not obviously have two terminals.

Thanks
Laurie

I don't understand how each element can be 'separately switched' if there's only one thermostat unless it's a 2-stage device...

Maybe has it got 2 separate supplies with some kind of economy tariff set up?

Common in the 60-70's.
The top entry unit consisted of 2 elements of different lengths so that you could select the depth of water to be heated.
Switching was by a switch activated by rotating the immersion heater cover which operated a micro switch.
The micro switch was prone to failure, probably due to the 3KW load.

Many years ago my uncle had one in his house,outside the immersion cupboard was a 2 gang switch,one marked on and off and the other sink and bath,iirc when you switched it to sink only the top element came on giving you a small amount of water for washing up,if you switched it to bath then it ran both elements to heat the full tank,can,t remember much else unfortunately.

Reply to double element immersion heater wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi Guys, Had a call out today about an odd issue with a newish Creda DT storage heater. Basically.. Storage heaters were installed in one flat...
Replies
Views
In a property with two consumer units one for the ring main etc., and the other for the 1970s storage heaters (storage heater CU looks like it’s...
Replies
Views
Until last week I had a dual tariff electricity supply with a cheaper overnight tariff. This was good for the storage heating, but now the storage...
Replies
Views
Hi All, My 1 and half Smeg cooker recently tripped when using the main fan oven. It was during quite a long period of cooking a roast. We reset...
Replies
Views
Hi I've been planning to fit an outdoor junction box at the front of my house to hide a large brickwork hole and properly house the wiring...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock